Lost a great friend!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

creech

Lost a great friend!

Post by creech »

Friday afternoon I had to make one of the most difficult decision's that I've had to make in many many years. I had to have my lab put to sleep. :cry: When I got home from work Wednesday afternoon the baby sitter told me that he really didn't move off of his pillow very much all day. I tried to get him to eat but he just walked away. My wife tried giving him treats and he would just turn his nose up at them. By this time it was around 5:30pm but when I called the vet they said they would wait on me. They did some blood work and told me that something was going on with his liver. They said the normal liver count in a dog his size should be around 100 but that Spooks was over 1000. They kept him over night to run more test (x-rays, ultrasound, ect.). Thursday the vet decided the only way to get a definitive answer was to do exploratory surgery. Spook was to weak for the surgery on Thursday so it was scheduled for the following day. Friday morning Dr. Hodges called to tell me that he would be the one preforming the surgery and that he would call me while he had Spook open and let me know what he found. Dr. Hodges called me around 2:00pm and said there was a tumor the size of my fist on Spooks liver. There was no way to remove it because it would have basically removed over half his liver. He also thought that the tumor was to advanced to respond to medication. Ultimately my wife and I decided it would be better on him to just not wake him from surgery. Spook would have been 12yrs. old April 1st. This picture was taken of Spook and my little girl Payton at Christmas.

R.I.P. Buddy!

culrich
Site Sponsor

Re: Lost a great friend!

Post by culrich »

Sorry to hear that, they are a mans best friend.
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

I really hate to hear that .I have had to make the same decision before.. it never is easy.
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Sorry for your loss.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:cry: I'm sorry.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Dang Creech, I hate to hear the bad news but yall will get through it. Just remember the fun times
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Sorry for to hear about your loss. I've had to make that call only once and I hope that I never have to make it again.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Sorry to hear about your loss....
If you release them they will grow!!!!
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Sorry to hear that. I can sympathize. I had to put down our 14 year old lab/golden back in July and I'll have to say that it was one of the toughest moments of my life.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Sorry to hear about that. I lost 2 cats to wild dogs back in November that were about 10 1/2 years old. It hurts to lose pets, I know.
Yours in the South
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

God bless you and your family Creech, I lost Jill and Jerry Lee(My two dogs) this year and I still catch myself looking across the back yard looking for them. A new pup helps. :thumbup:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
bman

Post by bman »

Sorry man- Its really a big loss- not a lot of people to get how hard that is.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Sorry for your loss...........Tough, tough, tough .......
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Sorry to hear this, but I know how you feel. My Boykin suddenly became paralyzed in her rear haunches. Nothing the vet did worked, so I had to put her down. Still miss the little brown demon.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!