St. Marks 2008.03.28 - happy hour

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mook!
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 2008.03.28 - happy hour

Post by Mook! »

So I reported yesterday that I was pre-fishing for this evening. I told Mojo to bring his fishin gear to work with him, and we met up at my house right after work and headed to the lighthouse. Went out east again (ain't tellin where this time :roll: ) and started a drift around 6pm. On my first cast of the day I landed a 17.5 inch trout on the bubblegum colored Redfish Magic Zulu with a 1/4oz Greedy Gut jighead. Mojo pulled one in another small keeper shortly thereafter on his favorite white flutter shad. Few minutes later I got another (even smaller still - about 15.25) keeper on the Zulu. Turned around to re-run some nice botom we just floated over.

Mojo foul hooks a small pinfish on the flutter shad and chucks it off the back on ole Bruiser, my Gulp pole aka pinfish indicator. I watch a gator slam my zulu right at the boat but she doesn't hook. Mojo's pole bends over nice and he reels up a nice keeper flounder. I brought in one more short trout on the Zulu that was almost a keeper at about 14.75. Zulu was a little mangled and I put a HOGY on the jig head to see what it could do. I can't tell you how impressed I am with how that thing looked in the water. I was using a medium-light action rod that's very sensitive and it took some adjusting to the weight of the thing. I got not the slightest little bite on it for 4 or 5 casts. Then it goot absolutely nailed - the kind of nailed you think you just janked it on a rock. It came free and I wasn't sure it hadn't been stuck. Twitched it 1 or 2 more times and nailed hard again...waited a second to make sure I wasn't just on a pile of grass, it pulled back, real hard, then whatever it was spit it out. I reeled it in torn to H-E-double-hockeysticks and the jighead wouldn't be still any more so I put on a new bubblegum Zulu. i can't wait to try more HOGY tomorrow. No evidence what it was but I'm guessing trout by the way it hit.

Bite slows down as we drift away from the structure we were over. I decide Mojo needs a redfish to round out the day so we head to a creek a couple miles away. Current was coming strong out of the creek - trolling motor on full power moved us very very slowly up the creek. On our run in, Mojo and I both got some really good redfish bites, we even hooked one a piece, I even got mine close enough to get a really good look at the monster spitting my zulu out, but got exactly zero all the way to the boat. Mojo gets another flounder on the flutter. Sun was just starting to sink below the horizon and the water was getting shallow toward the mouth so we made our way out the creek post-haste so as not to get stuck up there.

Decided to run to another nearby random spot in the flats where there are some decent depth changes and run one last 15 minute drift before heading for the hill. I got another short immediately. Mojo swapped from white to chart/red flutter shad and got a good 4 second fight on it right away but lost whatever it was. A cast or two later he experienced what I was trying to describe in my post Wednesday night with the signature mackerel hit -hit - see ya later - busted his line off. Starting to really get dark enough to need to leave. I say ok 1 or 2 more casts - I bet you that was a spanish. 1st cast nothin, 2nd cast hook up to a heck of a fighter - I think I got a spanish on there - yep, boated a medium sized spanish measuring about 16.5 to the fork and a little over 20 LOA. Took a picture of the spanish, let it go and turned and burned for home.

Ended the day with about 8 trout, mostly keepers, 2 keeper flounder and 1 spanish. Not bad for about one hour of lines in the water. Oh, and nothing ever ate the pinfish. It was released mostly unharmed.
Back tomorrow.

OAT - started about 80, got down to upper 60's after sunset
Water temp - 69-70 in the flat, 71 in 1.5 foot and creek
wind WSW at about 5-8kts
Caught all fish on pink redfish magic zulu with pink jighead and white flutter shad. Super Spook and live pinfish got no hits.

My first cast of the day

Gilligan's first or second trout of the day

Gilligan's first flounder of the day

Someone was just asking in another fishing report if these are around yet - the answer is yes - the secret is apparently shallow water after dark :lol:
Mookbait! At least 401 times better than live bait!

He who have signature line make bigger post.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 2008.03.28 - happy hour

Post by tin can »

Not too bad for 1.5 hours.

Mook, I think you're givin Wevans a run for time spent on the water. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Glad ya found some bigguns. 8 trout a'int bad a-tall. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Yours in the South
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

good report. Last time we went there...we caught mostly short ladyfish. :-?
Wadey
Site Sponsor

Post by Wadey »

Nice report and pictures! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
http://www.lureanglers.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See the Light.......ULTRA LIGHT
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Nice report guys. :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."