image path

Use this area to test things like pictures and signatures.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

image path

Post by Sir reel »

DSC TEXT
DSC (DIGITAL SELECTIVE CALLING) CAPABILITIES
The SPECTRUM+ features the official U.S. Coast Guard recognized version of this technology. In an emergency the SPECTRUM+ is capable of sending an automated, unattended, continuous, digital MAYDAY message that includes current vessel position time/day and a FCC assigned vessel identification.
Last edited by Sir reel on April 6th, 2005, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

OK Boys and girls.... its been a bit dull (IMHO) recently here on the forum so I’m going to take this opportunity to talk about a fish’n issue and try and express some frustration and maybe give someone a chance to teach me a thing or two. I’ve been chewing on this issue for quite some time.

It looks to me like there are a bunch of different GPS numbers for what seems like the same location. I don’t expect anyone to divulge any secrets here, but I’d sure like some help on what seems to be widely held as public information. I also don’t mind spending time and gas on the water but I feel like I’ve done that and I’m tired of look’n for those needles. (I can’t even find the hay stack sometimes).

Last weekend I traveled out to what I had in my GPS as the St. Marks reef. We fished around a bit and it was slow so I decided to go on out a bit further to what I had as coordinates for the 2 Wakulla regional reefs. I had been there before and always come away with the feeling that I hadn’t really found the right bottom. When I got back home I took my Garmin inside and started checking #’s and comparing them with the hardcopy information that I also carry with me. I found some different numbers and put them in and brought up the map to see how close they were to each other. Most of the new locations were anywhere from a couple hundred feet to 1/4 mile from the same location per #’s from another source. Now I’m not the best searcher on the water, but my bread crumb trails leave little doubt that I covered the area pretty well. It may be that I’m not reading the bottom correctly but I also know that unless I get within 60 ft or so I probably won’t see it . About this time was when I decided to do a little comparison. I have put the table below together to document my point. With a couple of exceptions, I think most folks would agree that the numbers sure don’t seem to be very close . I didn’t want to create any bigger table but I have 2 more sources, one from a seminar I attended a few years ago and another set of numbers from a chart titled “reefs of the big bend gulfâ€
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Test...
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Image Image