Spring Break 3/21-28 Cedar Key offshore & Crystal River

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Spring Break 3/21-28 Cedar Key offshore & Crystal River

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Since last Friday, my children have been on Spring Break and we’ve managed to spend some of our break on the water so here’s a pictorial summary of some of the water activities we shared.

Friday @ Cedar Key: We took a late start and hit the dock around 2 p.m. to work our stone crab traps. After a team effort of gaffing crab buoys, coiling lines, clearing crabs, and rebaiting we fished for a short bit for the usually obliging white grunts & black seabass.

Casey & Kait’s with a jumbo

While kid catching (grunts & black seabass) a gag hit a rod stuck in the gunnel and it was Kait’s turn to bring it up.

A big rod for Kait but she’s doing fine

Kait’s & her 23” gag

Tuesday @ Crystal River: We visited some school friends of Casey’s who’s parents have a place in Crystal River and we hopped aboard their boat to swim with the manatees. I took a lot of underwater photos and here are a few of the better ones. Most of the manatees we interacted with were around the canals where the water clarity wasn’t that clear, comparatively speaking to the spring heads. This is truly a unique experience for kids. Thanks Bob & Marie!!

Starting out right away at the surface

The first of many

What remarkable mammals

Kaitlyn & her friend, Shannon, were awed by this very social young pup that kept circling and turning onto his belly for some scratching

Seven year old Kaitlyn

Our friends, Marie, Shannon, & Andrew with a manatee pup that was extremely social

Saturday, Cedar Key offshore: The goal for the day was to introduce some friends to saltwater offshore fishing. We took one of Casey’s school mates, Trey, and his parents & grandfather. This was to be their first Gulf of Mexico offshore trip. Hoping to key onto what I thought would be the best bite for the day we left the Cedar Key dock intentionally at 2 p.m. and headed straight to a spot we had done well at a little over a year ago.

Using only frozen bait Kaitlyn was the first to drop and was immediately onto a nice grouper. Grandpa “K” was next and 2 gag hit the fishbox.

Meanwhile, Trey was busy playing with numerous grunts.

Then my wife, Pat, hung a nice gag.

Pat with a solid 11.4 lb gag (although in the photo it looks extremely small….)

Trey’s mom, after a brief struggle, caught her first gag too

Trey with a nice trigger

Colleen & son Trey with a couple of shorts

Grandpa “K” hooked up again and at this point has it figured out
(I won’t mention the good fish he had on that locked the rod against the gunnel and he couldn’t do anything with it……too funny)

Grandpa “K’ with a nice typical gag for this shallow depth

Colleen with her first trigger

Team Catchin’

On the way in we pulled in our two blue crab traps and bought 16 fresh volunteers to be introduced to an Old Bay & vinegar sauna treatment.

Fishing in 38 feet we only fished for 90 minutes after which, we ran back while it was still fun. We used only frozen baits and they were eaten without any hesitation. Surface water temperature in 35 feet was 70.7°F. Everyone had a pretty good rally of grouper fishing and it was fun to watch, and especially listen, as everyone hooked up with some hard pulling fish. Introducing grouper fishing to friends who haven’t grouper fished before makes for a fun time spent on the water!!

That was a FUN Spring Break!!

Hoo Yah!!
Brian
Quality Time
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Break 3/21-28 Cedar Key offshore & Crystal River

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Excellent looking trip ! Looks like everyone had fun !
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

Looks like much fun
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Looks like a blast. Never done any crabbing how long do you let the traps soak? What do you look for where you set your traps?
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Another oustanding report :thumbup: Looked like all involved were well pleased with the results. Cool pics of the sea cows
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Another great report Brian. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I always enjoy your reports, Brian. Looks like a good time was had by all.
What was I supposed to do today?
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Very nice report. Good read and pics :thumbup: :thumbup:

Snatch - I put out stone crab traps and usually put them in 17' - 25' east of St. Marks. I think areas with hard bottom and structure are key for the stone crabs.

You'll catch blue crabs almost anywhere you put a trap in shallow water and let it soak overnight or for a few days. I would choose a shallow spot on a mud flat near oyster bars but deep enough that it will stay covered during low tide. I've seen racoons play havoc with traps on a low tide at night :-D
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

snatch-n-reel wrote:Looks like a blast. Never done any crabbing how long do you let the traps soak? What do you look for where you set your traps?
SnR, RJ is right on the money. Ideally, my stoner traps will soak for 7-14 days, with a long set at 21 days. Lots of fun with small children. Anywhere you can find hardbottom and you’ll do well.
Brian
Quality Time
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Great report BBB! I always love reading your posts. If Spring Break were only two weeks long! Love the pictures of the kiddos!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Man what a weekend...you get the award for best Dad again!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Caught Up

Post by Caught Up »

Boat load of friends catchin a boat load of fish. Dont get much better. :thumbup: :D
Cheaper to keep Her
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

been looking for your report....they are always great ! looks like everyone had fun.
Pirate Girl