Hobie pedal drive kayaks

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redhead201

Hobie pedal drive kayaks

Post by redhead201 »

What do you guys think about the hobie pedal drive kayaks?
Talltails

Re: Hobie pedal drive kayaks

Post by Talltails »

I have owned and paddled several different types of fishing kayaks. I now have a Hobie Revolution pedal drive, and I prefer to fish out of it 9 times out of 10. The pedaling aspect is almost effortless, and it's like having a trolling motor when fishing around structure such as oyster bars or grasslines.
Reel Stoked

Post by Reel Stoked »

Definitely try one out before you buy it, I tested a Hobi Outback and didn't like it at all. I found the drive system to be a hassle to seat and engage correctly, and a lot of reviews said you could peddle and fish at the same time,which I found to be impossible unless you're just trolling. I eventually settle on a tarpon 140 and I don't have one negative thing to say about it.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I think they are great boats, but because of my legs I prefer to paddle and think that you should try out any kayak a before making a purchase. They are like shoes, and yoiu have to find the one that fits you best. Yo ucan rent them at Wilderness Way, and otehr boats you can rent at TNT Hideaway.
redhead201

Post by redhead201 »

You said the pedaling part of it is effort less. Is the pedaling uncomfortable at all. I plan to rent next weekend. How long would it take the average the average person or you to pedal 1 mile. open to all responses and thank you.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

All pedaling or paddling in a kayak, canoe, rowboat, or other types of manual powered vessels take practice to achieve proficiency. That said, my experience in terms of ease of learning in a pedal drive kayak was fairly simple. I remember the first time out in a Hobie was a bit awkward at first, but after an hour or so of use, it became more comfortable. You definitely become more comfortable with the pedal drive the more you use one. According to my GPS, I average 3-4 MPH comfortably. On short sprints, I can go up to about 6 MPH. Hobie also makes interchangeable Turbo fins that can increase top end speeds up to 20%. Opinions vary on pedal versus paddle, and there is no one answer. I fish from both types, but prefer to pedal. I have caught large fish from a Hobie, and to me they are superior in there manuverability and there ability to put added pressure against the fish. The same goes for fishing in windy conditions. The pedal drive allows you to spend more time in the correct position when casting at specific targets.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Don't take the "effortless" literally. Peddling is not difficult but as with any psysical activity it will depend on your conditioning. Your question of "how far in and hour?" Again too many variables to give a pat answer, wind,waves, tide, currents all effect forward progress. So, to predict how far you will go in and hour of peddling is futile. What I can add is I have peddled around for up to eight hours and still had plenty of energy at the end of the day. I have a Hobie Outback but would recommend for your first rental getting the Hobie Revolution because at 28 "width it slips through the water with a little less effort and it paddles easier. The Outback at 33" width moves a little more water when peddled and is more difficult to paddle. The reason I have an Outback as opposed to the Revolution is the fishing set up is more conducive to my style of fishing. Either craft are GREAT to troll in, put your rods out and peddle along the edges of oyster bars or along drop offs and and you are sure to pick up something.

So, rent your yak, have a good time and report the results.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

An average speed is around 3-4 mph in most all kayaks unless your pacing your self or really putting the paddle to the water.
Last edited by jsuber on April 15th, 2008, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
redhead201

Post by redhead201 »

thanks for the info guys. now its time to get out on the water
capncrunch

Post by capncrunch »

Man, I've had mine revolution for almost a year now. I love it. Easy to set up, easy to fish and pedal at the same time. The drive seems durable even after many direct hits on oyster shell.
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

I would love to buy a Kayak....but I'm afraid that JAWS, would think it was bobber and crunch me in half ! i know you guys have seen sharks when you are out there....tell the truth. :roll:
Pirate Girl
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Around here in a kayak, you're the biggest shark in the pond.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

lizbeth wrote:I would love to buy a Kayak....but I'm afraid that JAWS, would think it was bobber and crunch me in half ! i know you guys have seen sharks when you are out there....tell the truth. :roll:
Research it online. You won't find much out there. West coast folks fish all the time in big water with big sharks.
Get yourself a kayak. Fish cheaper, fish better, fish more. :D
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I saw a fellow on one of those Extreme Sports shows and he Jumps out of a Boat and lands on top of sharks and wrestles them to the boat. He had one that looked over 10 feet long. NOT ME! NO WAY!