Suggestions for Keaton?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Suggestions for Keaton?

Post by Littoral »

New Topic, I need some help. I’ve never been Keaton Beach and I will be trying out a new motor (from Jacks) before I trailer back to Wakulla. I assume Keaton is the best option near Perry. CS’s recent report was good as to the range of water he tried. I’ll have a topo but I need more general suggestions as to ramp issues, major rocks, go east or west, point X or Y. Trip is planned for the first good weather next week.
Thanks!
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey Littoral, As far as the ramp. There is one of the best ramps around at Keaton. Can launch three boats at a time on any tide. Price is $5.00. There is also a lift at the Marina for $1.00 more if you don't want to put a trailer in salt water. Keaton is about 25 miles from Jack's in Perry. The canal out of Keaton has two big rocks in the no wake part of the channel, both marked with bouys marked "rock" Simply follow channel markers and you can go in or out easily on any tide. It's two miles to the last channel marker. From there you can go north towards Warrior Creek for close in reds or grass flats for trout. Or you can go South to bone clear water grass flats. They seem to be in both areas right now. I'm going the weekend after next. June 14-15. Unlike the area futher west in the bend, Keaton has very little bottom structure, so the trout are sometimes hard to locate. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Semper Fi
JimR
Site Sponsor

Post by JimR »

FWIW , a couple weeks ago we found a few trout in 6-7' of water about 9 miles south of Keaton around "big grassy ". Whole lotta shorts but I think we ended up with 7 keepers (wife and I ) and a couple sharks. On the upside, like CSMarine said there is not a lot of structure to have to watch for so you don't tear up that new motor. By the way, what did you get ? what kind of boat ? Good Luck :D
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey Lit. I left out the most important direction on the Keaton canal. It's very important. When your leaving out of the canal, and get to the beginning of the jetty you'll see the bouy I spoke of marking the "rock". Position your boat just to the right of the bouy. Keep that distance from the jetty. The channel is only about 25' wide there starting at the jetty. Too far to the left and it's about 2' on high tide. Bone dry on low. Keep that distance from the jetty untill it ends. After you go around the jetty you can come up on plane and follow the markers out. Saw a boat last week try to cut across the markers and went high and dry on full plane on a sand bar. :o
Semper Fi
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Thanks all, I'm reminded as to why I asked. It sounds like Aucilla, which I know well. The boat is a 1999 Polar flats series model 1796 -17'5" with a 6'8" bow. It's a research boat and of course, a great fish boat. We do have our priorities. We had a Honda 50 on it and it was underpowered when loaded. We're putting a Suzuki 70 on it (4 stroke).
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Is there plenty of parking for trailers there? Easy to get in and out of for a neophyte?
Ken
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Ken K,
There is a very good parking area at Keaton, just pull up past the ramp and find a spot where the other trailers are. They have started making you sign in at the ramp and file a float plan, in addition to the $5.00 ramp fee. But it is a nice ramp, just be careful if you launch on low tide because the ramp is shorter and drops off sharply.The ramp is on the left right after you come into Keaton-can't miss it.

Good luck if you go,
Jessie.
Yours in the South
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Yey Ken. (Neophyte) "A term applied to all who have lately entered upon a new and higher state of condition of life"

Huh? :o :o
Semper Fi
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Alternate definition: "clueless" :lol:
Ken
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Littoral, suggest you go to http://www.keatonbeach.org for more info and a view of the canal at keaton. look closely in the canal at the begining and at the bend of the jetty. You can see the two white dots. That's the rocks I spoke of. Stay to the inside of those markers. You can see also how skinny the water is on the left going out. The picture was at about half tide I would guess. You can also see how dy it can get. It's still 4' deep at low tide in the channel at the mouth of the canal. The mouth is about 1/4 mile by canal from the public ramp. The Marina is about half way between the ramp and the mouth of the canal. After you go around the jetty, it's good canal with sand bottom the rest of the way out.
Semper Fi