Which GPS??

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Which GPS??

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

What is the best GPS under $1000.00? I have a Garmin 192 on BB that I love and I ve looked at the new model (492) that is nice, but just wondering if you guys know of one better thats cheaper?? I like having Bluewater and chartplotter on it and I dont want a handheld. I ve never owned anything but a Garmin so Im open for ideas. :thumbup: Also , I m looking into a Riptide 24V trolling motor. Anybody got any ideas on anything better?? Just asking for a little input.
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Which GPS??

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I know I'm in the minoiry but I love my Lowrance. I've got the 28C HD model which is a GPS/FF combo, due to lack of room on my console, it has several details that make it nice such as a more detailed marker map, better contour lines and if it's good enough for planes then it's good enough for me.
My $0.02 anyway.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=150&pID=8060#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can tell you that I bought a MotorGuide TM and there is not a day that goes by that I wished I had bought a Minn Kota Riptide Pro w/ lift assist and 3X steering. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

BayGator wrote: I can tell you that I bought a MotorGuide TM and there is not a day that goes by that I wished I had bought a Minn Kota Riptide Pro w/ lift assist and 3X steering. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Really? My Motor Guide has done a good job on my boat but I had it to do over again I would have gotten the remote version instead of the hand control. I'm kicking myself over that one.
Mook!
Site Sponsor

Post by Mook! »

BB - once you go Garmin you never go back...or if you do, you're disappointed. I picked up a 176C on ebay for 100 bux and it's all that and a bag of chips. was about to buy the brand new 1006 for 700 which was a steal, but to get it to do most of the stuff mine can't do required another couple grand in add-ons.

RC I think the only reason you're in the minority there is that the Lowrance sonars get some pretty horrible reviews from a lot of people in the know. It ain't the GPS.
Mookbait! At least 401 times better than live bait!

He who have signature line make bigger post.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Sorry Mook, but I will have to disagree with you there. I have had Garmin and Lowrance, and the Lowrance is by far a better depth finder. The GPS functions are fine with both, but I like the Lowrance if you are going with a dual unit.

The issues with Lowrance was their 50khz sounder and the lack of depth penetration. I never use 50, just 200 because I am never in 500 ft of water.....

I have a 7" color screen LX18C (same as Eagle Seachamp 1000C)and Nauticpath chip that gives me the ENTIRE US marine charts for 99 bucks.

My vote is also for Lowrance.

One other thing I love about the Lowrance is the chart record feature. You can turn it on while trolling, and then at home run the bottom playback on your PC. I have found several good ledges that way....

Here is an actual screen shot of it on the PC. See anything interesting? That was recorded while traveling at about 15 knots. Of course, I removed the cordinates that were there. :-D

Dubble :thumbup:
Last edited by Dubble Trubble on April 24th, 2008, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Wait a minute fellas, he doesn't have the boat to put them on yet. :-D
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Barhopr wrote:Wait a minute fellas, he doesn't have the boat to put them on yet. :-D
He's got the duck boat.
MrGreenJeans

Post by MrGreenJeans »

If you can afford it, nothing out there even comes close to the Humminbird Side imaging. People with this technology simply catch more fish than people without it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOy5ml2GhiQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Like the simple pleasures........like killing my enemies, drinking his wine and taking his women and gold.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Side view is not too helpful when you are fishing 2 feet of water.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Barhopr wrote:Wait a minute fellas, he doesn't have the boat to put them on yet. :-D
Soon, my impatient son, soon!!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Side view is not too helpful when you are fishing 2 feet of water.

True, and neither is regular sonar at that depth....

I will have to admit, the side imaging is kind of interesting. I would love to try it out out in grouper waters....

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
MrGreenJeans

Post by MrGreenJeans »

Side imaging will allow you to see 50' of bottom in 2' of water. It would allow you to see the red fish on the shoreline 30' from the boat just by cruising by. I think shallow water is where the side imaging is ultimately effective. I wish I had it.
I Like the simple pleasures........like killing my enemies, drinking his wine and taking his women and gold.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

MrGreenJeans wrote:Side imaging will allow you to see 50' of bottom in 2' of water. It would allow you to see the red fish on the shoreline 30' from the boat just by cruising by. I think shallow water is where the side imaging is ultimately effective. I wish I had it.
I would have to see it to believe it. The only side imaging shots I have seen were in 20 to 30 feet of water. I have not seen anywhere Humminbird doing 2 feet of water....I just do not think it will work that shallow.

Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

I've played with side imaging but don't own it. You need a little depth to start getting effective readings off the side. I'd say about 8-10 feet. It is very cool though.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."