Rigging...

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Rigging...

Post by Littoral »

I've been doing a lot of research to set up my new kayak. Rod holders and a simple anchor deal is about it for me.
Looking online at the photos of all the "stuff" people put on their kayaks is really crazy. I don't get it.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Re: Rigging...

Post by GAJOEY »

For some folks more is better and others less is best ..I like to be some where in between.I think I am gonna go out and get me a kayak real soon you and suber have brought valid reasons for me to go and get one..
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

Rod holders, anchor and trolley, and paddle holder are all I've found to be truly useful. I have been thinking about a way to mount my camera towards the bow to make fish pictures easier. Probably something like Barhopr uses on his boat is all that's necessary. One of these would be nice....http://www.barefeats.com/gorilla.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

A water proof camera helps too!!
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

It's all relative...
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Talltails wrote:It's all relative...
That's about my style, CHEAP
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

GAJOEY wrote:I think I am gonna go out and get me a kayak real soon you and suber have brought valid reasons for me to go and get one..
You talkin about fish? :D
redfish14

Post by redfish14 »

You know I had a small GPS on the Drifter which bailed me out in heavy fog once (I got very turned around and my usual landmarks were not visable).

Now that I have been through a collision and have reached the age where heart attacks occur I have been thinking at my wifes urging about the GPS and a cell phone or hand held vhf . The GPS to give lat and long. I would even consider flare gun if there were space aboard. Maybe a high intensity strobe. Other than that KISS.
I read somewhere that to become the ultimate fisherman you have to give up the need to actually catch fish.
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

I always carry my cell phone in a dry bag, and sometimes I take a gps if I'm going somewhere new, or just want to keep track of mileage. I think Lit is referring to the guys that have depth finders, livewells, outriggers, etc etc. At some point you might as well just go buy a boat.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

THere is a kayak rigging section on fcka.net and jaxkayakfishing.com and texaskayakfishing.com and many other kayak fsihing websites that will be very useful.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

jsuber wrote:THere is a kayak rigging section on fcka.net and jaxkayakfishing.com and texaskayakfishing.com and many other kayak fsihing websites that will be very useful.
Yup. Been through every one. I actually linked to your anchor trolley set up because it's simple enough to do the job.
But I don't much like the idea of lines running the length of the kayak. I have 2 cleats on my Pungo, forward port and back starboard, and it works pretty well. I certainly see the benefits but do you really like and use the trolley?
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

I use the trolley everytime I anchor. Paired with either a small lewmar anchor or a stakeout pole, I think it's the second most important piece of eqipment on a kayak(besides your paddle).
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Talltails wrote:I use the trolley everytime I anchor. Paired with either a small lewmar anchor or a stakeout pole, I think it's the second most important piece of eqipment on a kayak(besides your paddle).

I guess I'd best be convinced with that. My concern is mostly about hanging hooks on the lines but it's looking like I'll have to come into the new millenium and do the trolley.
I do have a nice stakeout pole but I've never found it to be worth the trouble. :smt102
redfish14

Post by redfish14 »

In 40 years of Kayak fishing I have never hung a hook on a trolly line. Anchor lines yes but never any trolly lines...yes virginia they had kayaks and trollies back then just not many...I had a 17 foot dual folbot. Canvas and vinyl over an open wood fram built from a kit. Nice boat much wider than SOTS of today. I could climb over the side without flipping as long as a passenger was aboard, Course I weighed 135 back then .FIY anchortrolies are a couple of hundred years old Grand banks line fishermen used them a lot in double ended dories.
I read somewhere that to become the ultimate fisherman you have to give up the need to actually catch fish.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I use the anchor trolley all the time and its great for positioning the boat, and funny thing, thats about the only thing on my yak that my hooks or line have not been hung on. Thanks for the jinx.
Last edited by jsuber on May 5th, 2008, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.