Steinhatchee, 4/26/08, offshore

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ddb

Steinhatchee, 4/26/08, offshore

Post by ddb »

I had invited a co-worker (Paul) to do some inshore fishing on Saturday, but Thursday I got a call from Nuge to do some Grouper hunting and since I don't get offshore too much I decided we'd take him up on it. Paul and I met up with Nuge at the SeaHag in Steinhatchee at 8 and since Nuge had prepped the boat the day before we were set to go. Picked up a few pin fish (not enough) in shore and proceeded out to 40+ water. The ride out was a bit bumpy, but the water was supposed to lay down in the afternoon, so no problem. We trolled around for an hour and picked up a keeper red grouper. I hadn't caught a keeper red before (I did say I didn't get offshore too much right) and Nuge had taken it personally. Before the day was done I'd caught 7, 6 keepers, the larger 3 which were returned to the sea, so mission accomplished Nuge :thumbup: We drifted some, then proceed out deeper to another of Nuge's numbers. Our first drift was red-hot so we repeated it a couple more times. Our last drift we also found some good bottom and proceeded to load the box. The ride in was still a bit bumpy, so much for 1-2's. The final tally was 11 keepers, 3 reds, 8 gags, and numerous grunts. All in all a great day. Thanks much Nuge!

I hope to add pics later.
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee, 4/26/08, offshore

Post by GAJOEY »

sweet ..Nothing wrong with loading the box :thumbup: :thumbup:
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

ddb wrote:The ride in was still a bit bumpy, so much for 1-2's.
We went out of Steinhatchee last Monday, 4/21 to about 35 ft. of water looking for grouper. "Seas of 2 to 3 ft. falling to 1 to 2 ft. by mid-day" -- my butt !!

I think I am just going to double whatever the marine forecast says from now on. When we got to the first hole, we (unwisely) tied the anchor off at the stern like always. After one or two of those wonderful triple waves (5 ft. or so) over the stern and the bilge pump is working overtime, we retied the anchor to the bow but still could hardly stand up.
[as dropship enters atmosphere] "We're in the pipe, five by five."
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Nothing wrong with that trip.
You gotta be carefulk with those red groupers, there ain't many left. (Sarcastic remark)
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
ddb

Post by ddb »

Well, we didn't get as many pictures as I thought we had (kinda busy I guess), but here's one of the reds we picked up trolling: