Rock Garden

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redfish14

Rock Garden

Post by redfish14 »

When I had the Blue Drifter one of my goals was to visit the rock garden. Any suggestion on how to get there or how far from the light house?

Along the same lines I am looking for spots that are at least 10 feet deep with rocky bottom within paddle range of the Kayak.
I read somewhere that to become the ultimate fisherman you have to give up the need to actually catch fish.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: Rock Garden

Post by jsuber »

Fen Holloway is the shortest Route.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

jsuber wrote:Fen Holloway is the shortest Route.
He said rock garden, not rock island.

The quickest conventional way would be to put in at the lighthouse and go east. But there are some on here who put in at the impoundments and go out through stoney bayou.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

But look at all the water he will cover in that 12 mile one way paddle. Tom is right, head out of the Lighthouse, or short cut the pods to Stony Bayou. But the best be is from the lighthouse and head east.
redfish14

Post by redfish14 »

thanks...I think. Mainly thinking that when I used to fish for reds on the Myakka river we never fishd the flats unless we wanted trout which by the way were not really sought after much. We always fished rocky bottom on the bottom. Back then no one in my family ever thought lures were used in salt water so that in mind I wanted to try some rocky bottom in the fall.

I also like to try sheep head which we caught in the same areas (also mangrove snapper)

I think a 12 mile paddle might be about 11 miles beyound my current endurance
I read somewhere that to become the ultimate fisherman you have to give up the need to actually catch fish.
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

I did the Lighthouse pools/ portage over the dike into Stoney Bayou/ paddle back west to Lighthouse from the rock garden paddle one time. Easiest way is just to put in at the lighthouse and paddle east. If you put in at the pools and paddle down through Stoney Bayou, don't do it at low tide. It''s a muddy mess up there at the dike that separates the pool from the head of the bayou. Plus, it's a 3 mile paddle whether you put in at the pools, or paddle from the lighthouse. When I went from the pools to the lighthouse, it was a 6 mile trip, and then I had to hitch a ride back to my car at the pools. Not the funnest trip I've ever had. Oh, and I'm not sure, but I don't think you're supposed to be paddling in the pools in the fall due to the ducks present at that time.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Fugaduck.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

screw a guinea.
GULP! free since 1970.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Redfishin's better than any!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:Redfishin's better than any!!
MAN...do I have A DUCK for you?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Is it better than any :-D
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Or you could do like Bakertize, another friend and I did one time. Put in at the Lighthouse, paddle around to Stony, then up to the dike, and back. :-D