Visual Distress Signals

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

Visual Distress Signals

Post by Chalk »

Whats the skinny on flares, heard theres a minimum length. But the Coast Guard Manual says any personal watercraft should have visual distress signals. Whats the rule in Florida, looked but couldn't find anything.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

As long as they have the "USCG Approved" and a good expiration date, I'd think that's all that matters. Been using the same hand held flares from Wal-Mart for years, for the Law.
For real emergency, I keep a nice flare gun also. It's not CG approved but when in distress, I don't think folks would mind me using it anyway.
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Morning fellows, maybe some of this can help.

The following statement is from the study guide for the Florida Boating Safety Course
..."To assist rescuers in finding and aiding boaters in distress, the U.S. Coast Guard requires all boats operating in U.S. coastal waters to carry visual distress signals."

Here is a portion of the The Florida Boating Safety Course that is online at the FWC web site ( http://www.floridaconservation.org/ ) and contains the specific's on the number and type of devices.

All vessels on federally controlled waters are required to carry night signals when operating between sunset and sunrise. In addition, the following vessels must also carry day signals:

Recreational vessels 16 feet or longer
Non-motorized, open sailboats 26 feet or longer.

Vessels less than 16 feet in length must carry three night signals between sunset and sunrise on federally controlled waters.

If pyrotechnic VDSs are used, a minimum of three must be carried in the vessel. Pyrotechnic VDSs must be U. S. Coast Guard-approved, in serviceable condition, and readily accessible. Pyrotechnic VDSs beyond the expiration date are considered unserviceable.

The following combinations of signals are examples of VDSs that could be carried onboard to satisfy U. S. Coast Guard requirements:

Three hand-held red flares (day and night)

One hand-held red flare and two red meteors (day and night).

One hand-held orange smoke signal (day), two floating orange smoke signals (day) and one electric light (night only).

Displaying visual distress signals on the water, except when assistance is required to prevent immediate or potential danger to persons onboard a vessel, is prohibited

I know I was sure glad that I had mine this past year when I found that rock off of the Econfina. VHF was receiving but not transmitting! :o
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Thats what I was looking for Sir Reel..... :thumbup: .....