SHOULD I SELL THE BOAT?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

SHOULD I SELL THE BOAT?

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

I returned to my dock after an enjoyable day. The party that chartered my boat was equally as pleased because as usual I clean all the fish that are caught. Our limit of Trout, Reds, and a lonely Spanish.

They weren’t gone very long, and after cleaning the fish and the boat the boat I did what I usually do. Go to the bow of the boat; sit in one of the chairs with a glass of rum and a big cigar. It doesn’t get any better than this. The gulls were still at my dock yelling for more fish guts. There was just enough breezes to keep the no seeums away. Then I remembered. I didn’t check the live bait. There was one left. What should I do?

Turn him loose? I don’t think so. They’re still sort of rare for this time of year. Put him in the fish cage? Well, then I’d have to get up, set my cigar down and let the ice in my rum melt. No, that wasn’t an option.

I still had a stiff rod with a circle hook on the boat. I grabbed a Cajun Thunder from under one of the seats and simply hooked it on the snap swivel. I felt sorry for the pin fish because I was enjoying the cigar and rum and he was about to be impaled on a piece of steel that weighed as much as he did. A short cast and splash he was there for the taking by whatever passed him buy.

Maybe an hour passed by, and several rums and another cigar. The radio was on and it was beginning to approach dusk. To my back the sky was turning pink and yellow and I thought for a fleeting minute I’d untie the lines and head out into the bay to watch the sunset. Then it happened.

The rod was in a rod holder and the line was in a trolling clip. The clip fell to the side of the boat and the Cajun Thunder began to race down the canal.

I wanted to grab the rod, but I first had to find a secure place for my cigar and my glass of rum. I set the glass on the deck and the cigar between my teeth. The drag was screaming. I got the rod in my hands and was surprised at the weight of the fish on the other end. A sail cat? A gar? Maybe a ray.

This fish just didn’t want to come back to the boat. But, after several minutes of playing tug of war with me he gave in. When I got him close, but not close enough to see what kind of fish he was I put the net in the water so he would come to the net instead of scaring the hell out of him as he looked up at me.

Then I saw him. A Red Fish, with broad shoulders and wide hips. And he swam to the net like a good fish should.

We’re having friends over Friday night for Red Fish, stuffed with crab meat and Creole Gumbo as only us South Louisiana folks can make.

But this leaves me with one big unanswered question considering I drove the boat all day, over half the Big Bend looking for reds and trout and whatever else would bite so my fishing party would go home happy.

So on this unusually productive day I ask myself, “Should I sell the boat and just fish off the dock”?

PICT0012.JPG
PICT0012.JPG (3.55 MiB) Viewed 2802 times
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: SHOULD I SELL THE BOAT?

Post by Sir reel »

DO YOU OWN THE DOCK?? :smt102
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

great story...
Pirate Girl
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Nicely done Capt. Charlie. I say if there is a ready supply of cigars and rum at the dock, then sell the boat. :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
GULP! free since 1970.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Very nice Capt.

You could sell the boat but your charters might wonder what the fee is for. :-D
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Very nice read.
Answering your question:
Keep the boat and add a kayak.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

birddog wrote:Nicely done Capt. Charlie. I say if there is a ready supply of cigars and rum at the dock, then sell the boat. :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:

I agree with BD!!!
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Captain Charlie, from what I read......I like you. Where are you based? I think I would enjoy fishing with you.
Team Jolly Mon
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Where is your dock? :-D Keep the boat. 8) How long do you stay gone from the dock? ;-)
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Redbelly wrote:Where is your dock? :-D Keep the boat. 8) How long do you stay gone from the dock? ;-)
Is there room for two??? I likes RUM!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey Charlie,
Great tale! No--don't sell the boat. Buy a couple of kayaks to use inshore! That red would have given you one heck of a sleigh ride!!
Best,
Dick
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Very nice story, Capt. Charlie. What a way to end a nice day of fishing. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
Sea Spot

Post by Sea Spot »

Rum,cigar,music,awesome fiew and a red,sell the boat :lol:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I swear I could smell the salt air, rum and aromatic cigar smoke as you told your tale....hell no, don't sell the boat, but do write a book while under the influence of such great pleasures :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
High Hope
Site Sponsor

Post by High Hope »

Good read. Always keep the boat. Just leave it at the dock, and fish off the back. :D