South Dakota Trip Photos - Beautiful State!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

South Dakota Trip Photos - Beautiful State!

Post by big bend gyrene »

Visited South Dakota this month to knock out another state in the 50 marathon attempt. While I greatly appreciate the "off topic" forum (it gives me a great way to share marathon reports with distant family & friends), I found South Dakota to be such a beautiful state I'm hopeful a few of you board members will also enjoy some pics from the trip.

Left for South Dakota early Friday, June 6, and saw one interesting site during a layover at the Chicago airport... definitely an attention grabber.

Having researched things to do in advance and wanting to make the most of an all-too-short weekend trip, I did a bit of driving Saturday in order to see Devil's Tower (actually across the SD border in Wyoming). I wasn't disappointed! Almost 12 miles out, I could see the tower stood out as distinctly different than the surrounding hills...

Still a few miles out, the tower loomed increasingly arger...

Up close, the tower was stunning, at least in my humble opinion!

Favorite pic was one of the last I took during the day, as dark clouds rolled in around the tower.

During the round trip SD to WY drive, I counted over 70 deer (mostly whitetail and pronghorn) playing in the open hill country. Saw so many I didn't think to take pictures, but did stop to enjoy the view of two toms fighting over a group of hens.

Also drove the Sturgis, Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, and Lead areas and took a few photos along the way of natural beauty that caught my attention.

Sunday morning I ran the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon. With 29 states down, it has to be one of the prettiest courses I have run though also a tough one! The course only had one hill and with a relatively gentle slope... just too bad it was a 13 mile hill :smt010

Between the altitude and the hill, I was gasping enough at the half-way point that my uphill run was slightly faster than my downhill climb down :smt012 This said, the views made up for the pain and, again, I was left loving the course...

Saved visits to Mount Rushmore and Custer National Park for the post-race afternoon.

Was really amazed at the rough, swirled appearance of the uncut/rough rock surrounding the Presidents. Made me all the more appreciative of the work that it took to do the massive rock carvings...

As darkness dropped on my final day in SD, I raced through Custer National Park. Final vision from the trip was from Sylvan Lake -- as with so many of my previous state trips, I was left with too little time to cast a line, but seeing sites such as Sylvan Lake have me looking forward to a 50 states fishing attempt :-D :wink:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: South Dakota Trip Photos - Beautiful State!

Post by birddog »

Thanks for posting. Those are some great photos. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

birddog wrote:Thanks for posting. Those are some great photos. :thumbup: :thumbup:
What he said !
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

I third that! :-D :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Wow! Thanks for shareing. Any strange lights coming from the top of Devils Tower?
Sea Ya !
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

very nice :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing! I really love the composition of the "tower" pics!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Sea Fox, no strange lights coming from the tower that I could see, but did see three braver souls than I trying to get a better look at the top :o :smt103

Well make that at least one braver soul :wink: ... there are three guys (at least that I could see) in the picture, and the one in gray near the bottom was shouting out apologies to the guy at the top for having to go back down... couldn't make out exactly why he was opting to come back down, but could tell that he had lost his eagerness to see the top, as again he offered numerous apologies. Think two of the guys in the photo are relatively easy to see... the third had on an orange shirt and is at the bottom, just to the right of the guy coming down.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Wow! I really enjoyed your post, thanks!
Team Jolly Mon
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

BB Gyrene,
Great report and pics. Really appreciate you sharing your travels with us. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
TyatCapeSanBlas

Post by TyatCapeSanBlas »

:thumbup: Great Pics

Good thing this didn't show up
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

the pics are great, but a marathon at that elevation :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

Great pics but if you would have been with me last weekend, maybe I would have caught that tarpon I lost. That's OK, more cobia and reds for me:-)

Looks like your trip was amazing. I am jealous.
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

nice pics