Good Times in Alaska

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Good Times

Good Times in Alaska

Post by Good Times »

Well fellas, I have taken a job in Kentucky so this will be my last report from the Big Bend. The last 6 1/2 years of fishing the Apalachee Bay have made for some of the best memories of my life. Wouldn't trade a minute of fishing with my Dad and friends for the world. Not to mention the camaraderie and community I have experienced on BBF.net and the NFGFC meetings. I'm having to switch to fishing Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. I'll let you know how it goes. It's been real guys.

With that said, I was able to take the trip of a lifetime to Sitka Alaska last week with my Dad and Brothers for three days of King Salmon and Halibut fishing. Despite the worst airline travel I have ever experienced, the trip was amazing. If you ever have the chance to get to Sitka give Angling Unlimited a call. They do it right.

Each boat handles 4 people. So we had one to ourselves.

We started out each day at 4:00 with a wake up call and breakfast and on the boat by 5:00. An hour ride through the sound and out into the Gulf of Alaska

We would start close in mooching for Salmon with light tackle. Shallow fishing here was 150 feet of water.

We would then head out in 700ft of water for Halibut fishing. The set up was Penn 345's, 200lb spectra and 300lb leader. 2 lb weight with 5 lbs of salmon guts. Put it to the bottom, let it sit and let out a scent trail for about 45 minutes and then it is on. I don't know if you've ever cranked up a Maytag from 700 feet but it is work! The fun kind!

We did this for two and 1/2 days. We lost half a day due to airline delays. But the end product was this.

Not to mention some pretty cool scenery:

Like I said. The trip of a lifetime. The fishing was good. But it didn't compare to the time with my Dad and brothers. :thumbup:

Later Fellas.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Good Times in Alaska

Post by SHOWBOAT »

nice report GT. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck in Kentucky
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Good report, even better pics!!! looks like a good time :thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I sure hope to take the Alaska trip one day. Good luck up there in Bluegrass country.....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

Unbelievable pics! Those jumping salmon were pretty big:-) Good luck in Kentucky!
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

I'd like to try me some of that. :thumbup: :D
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Great report and pics. Good luck sweetwater fishin in Kentucky.
What was I supposed to do today?
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Looks like an incredible trip. Have an uncle who fishes those lakes fairly regularly and my dad has fished Kentucky lake several times. Have heard some good things :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Looks like an awesome trip. I may have to do that one next summer. I've been wanting to get up to Alaska.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Great report and pics. Sounds like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Cory, Pretty good for a preacher man! Them fish are a tad bit bigger than the ones down here.

A personal note: I appreciate the influence you've had on our family even though it was for a limited time. Do it good and have fun in this change.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Boy I would sure love tp do that just for the Halibit!
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Awsome pictures and report very well done. I have one question though.... Did you get spooled when the whale took off??

Good luck and much success in Kentuck.... there's a different breed of heathen up there, but we all need the same thing :D :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Looks fantastic. Let me know if you need any help with Kentucky fishing.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Good Times wrote:Well fellas, I have taken a job in Kentucky so this will be my last report from the Big Bend.
That does look like a trip of a lifetime!! Enjoyed those pics! :thumbup:

Welcome to KY! Will you be living close to BG? Give me a shout if you need anything!

TC
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image