Trolling motor cables

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redphisher

Trolling motor cables

Post by Redphisher »

The cables that come out of my trolling motor head get real hot sometimes. Mostly when I motor on high for a several minutes. I know the cable gauge that goes from my plug back to the battery are plenty big enough. But the Wednesday it almost melted through. Anyone have any idea why this is happening or what I can do to fix it. I have a Motor Guide digital 54 lbs thrust 12 volt and use the Delco Voyager. The battery is located in the back of the boat, I have large gauge (not sure off the top of my head) wire leads running to the bow and I have a plug on the back side of the front casting deck I plug in to.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Trolling motor cables

Post by wevans »

Loose conection in the head, take the cover off and you should see which one is loose "by the burnt coloring" :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CROCKER

Post by CROCKER »

LIKE SAID, LOOSE WIRES. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CIRCUIT BREAKER ON THAT HOT HIRE FROM THE BATTERY, I WOULD SUGGEST GETTING ONE IT WILL SAVE YOUR TROLLING MOTOR.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

What kind of connector do you have up front? (where the trolling motor leads plug in) Check for corrosion in that connector.
What was I supposed to do today?
Redphisher

Post by Redphisher »

TC, I use the Motor Guide two prong plug and I've replaced it every season to season and a half. I checked that out and it had the usually slight off coloration but no corrosion. I'm going to pull the top of the head off and check the connectors too. But if it would help I would change that plug out.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I would also pull the wires loose at the battery and clean those connections.
What was I supposed to do today?