Keyton Beach vs. Econfina

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Keyton Beach vs. Econfina

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I started salt water fishing pretty heavy a couple of years ago. I have ALWAYS gone to Econfina because that is where I started going. I have put in at Econfina and gone up close to Keyton in my boat, but I have never put in there. Someone told me that you can get in and out and never have to worry about tides like you do at Econfina, also they said there aren't as many rocks. What do you guys think?
Team Jolly Mon
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Keyton Beach vs. Econfina

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Uh Huh!!!
What is your description of ROCKS???
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

There are rocks at Keaton.
GULP! free since 1970.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

birddog wrote:There are rocks at Keaton.
You are talking to a river boy.....rocks don't scare me! He just told me that they aren't as much of a factor based on the tides. I was just curious. I also have heard the fishing is better over there right now due to stained water at Econfina.
Team Jolly Mon
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Rocks on the flats scare the sheeeet out of me. Except for the hundreds I can point out to you. It is the one I can not point out that scares me the most.
There are 100 and 1 around Keaton that I do not yet know.
Be safe..go to Carrabelle. Only 4 rocks I know of there.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Ha, thanks JT. Maybe I should stay close to Econfina, I have left some silver paint on most of them there, along with most of the rocks on the Flint River. Keyton looks to be set up nice for overnight trips too. Leaving Sylvester at 4:30am for a "day trip" to the flats is about to kill this old man. (Sad because I am only 31, HA!)
Team Jolly Mon
Dabbler

Post by Dabbler »

Pirate, you have helped me a little in the past. I do know Keaton because, as you said about Econfina, it is where I have always gone. There have been a few times in the past when the wind and tide made a mud flat out of the channel area. Normally that is not the case and you have good water if you use the markers. Stay close along the small fishing pier to avoid the first rock going out the channel. You should be fine with common sense about depth and speed. There is a lot of area to fish so ask at the marina what's a good start. Couple hours before and after high tide is best. Good fishing right off the beach north of channel. Piney point and south is good. Only rocks I have found are north to Spring Warrior and beyond but good tital creeks. Stay out in 6ft for traveling at speed. More than my 2 cents. If you have more questions, ask Pat McGriff. He knows everything. Just kidding Pat.
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Not that familiar with the Keaton area but can tell ya, be carefull around Spring Warrior and found some nice stone in front of Yates creek but found some nice fish in both areas. Run in 6' and be carefull in 3' and less......just my .02.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I'll show you a little about the one if you'll show me a little about the other.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Be safe..go to Carrabelle. Only 4 rocks I know of there.
Where are they JT...I only know of 1 shrimp boat to look out for but am yet to find a rock there. Then again, I ain't never been to your "secret spots" either :smt005
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Flint River Pirate wrote:
birddog wrote:There are rocks at Keaton.
You are talking to a river boy.....rocks don't scare me!
well ease on over there and get after it.
GULP! free since 1970.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Keaton has WAY less rocks than Econfina. Of course, rocks are structure and fish like structure. The channel is deeper, however, I have seen it too low to get in and out of. Steinhatchee is the only outlet in this area that I've never had trouble getting in and out of. Lot more people usually at Keaton, because it is easier to get in and out of.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

I've caught more out of Econfina simply because I've fished there more, but also caught some good-uns out of Keaton. Prolly a safer bet not to knock the foot off your motor at Keaton but you also have to be careful if you go north to far from Keaton. Hidden danger lurks.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I've fished both although Not nearly as much at Keaton but the winter tides I've experienced at Keaton are just as radical if not more so than Econfina. Here's what it looked like in March 2006 for the NFGFC tornament blast off.....

"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I don't worry about the tides or rocks at Econfina....and I can prove it! :smt010
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.