Trailer brakes

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Trailer brakes

Post by Second Chance »

Ok, the trailer and surge disc brakes are now five years old. Mostly the boat just sits at the Moorings and is usually only pulled for short distances. The brakes have a flush system ( fitting mounted in the side of the trailer with a line that runs to both disc). They have been flushed faithfully after each use but, lately I can hear a scraping sound when I move it to the ramp and back. Last thing I want is to show up early one morning and the brakes a locked up :x Can trailer brakes be reworked, replace pads ect., or due to the salt water factor do you just replace them?

Thanks,
Vance
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Good question, have you ever posed the question to the guys at the Moorings? There is a Grady White dealer right there (maybe the same people), they should know.

Most people I know with trailer brakes just let them fail and then drive a large enough truck to stop the boat :P . I never thought about them freezing up.
Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Post by Second Chance »

AJ, There must be a lot of us out here that don't know much about trailer brakes based on the lack of responses :roll: I hate to ignore the problem since I am big on PM. I will probably just check with the guys over at Bridge Marine that have done some work for me in the past. On that going up to a bigger truck idea, I already drive a full size GMC extended cab. How much bigger do you figure I would need to go if the boat/motors/trailer weight 6000lb + :wink:
Bottomtime

Post by Bottomtime »

Not sure if you have the disc or drum brakes. Discs seem to be a little easier to keep in good shape as they are easier to flush out. Also, the pads for disc brakes are pretty easy to replace. I have no experience with drums.
Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Post by Second Chance »

BL, I have the disc and they have been flushed after every use. I am probably just going to replace the pads and see where that gets me. Just didn't want to wake you and Monty early some morning with all the screaming and profanity when I tried to pull out of my spot and the brakes were locked :-?
pjones

Post by pjones »

i don't know if you guys thought about this or not so i thought i would mention it.

brakes rust with any type water on them. if you are flushing them and then not driving far enough to dry them before you park the boat they are probably making noise just from drying slowly and rusting a bit. it should not be a problem but an easy way to check it would be to pull the boat up the road and back after you flush the brakes to dry them off before you park it and see what happens next time you pull out.

it sounds silly, but if you haven't pulled to boat enough to wear the brakes out, i think that is very probably what it is.

i would be curious to know if that solves your problem.
Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Post by Second Chance »

pjones, You know I hadn't thought about that. But, I always flush the brakes after I've backed the trailer back in the spot and unhooked the truck. The boat might not get moved for a couple of weeks. Next time I'll pull it around for a few mintues after the flushing. Thanks for the input :thumbup: