Keaton 10/3/08

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Breambuster

Keaton 10/3/08

Post by Breambuster »

I tried to find someone in the FS forum to go with us to Carrabelle to help us to learn to fish that area but nobody was interested. Ddb and I decided that its was too far to drive to Carrabelle just for an exploratory trip by ourselves. Plan B was to again hit Keaton but run out to deeper water. This turned out to be a good idea. So, how many species of fish can you catch in one outing? I will get back to this later.

We splashed the boat in at 8 am. Took us almost 20 minutes to round up enough bait as they were very scattered - I think the now recognized me with my castnet. We fish for trout around the south birdrack from 8.30-11 am with only 3 keepers that Dave caught. I was throwing topwater most of the time, had one nice hook-up but I lost it. I did bring in a lizard fish - on top water? Dave also caught several ladyfish and this little grouper.

With the nice sea condition, we decided to execute our plan by pointing the bow to the west and put the hammer down, destination Steinhatchee reef. As soon as we anchored up, while I was busy rummaging through my tackle box to change from popping cork to a bottom rig, Dave at the back yelled "get the net". He already had a nice flounder on.

Not a few minutes later, when I was halfway rigging, I was again rudely interrupted. He had another fish on, and this one is taking some drag.

It turned out to be a baby AJ. We could see a whole school of them little guy swiming around following their hooked comrad.

When I finally got to drop my bait down, it was imediately being hammered. It put up great a fight on my lite tackle trout rod. Didnt thought a grunt would fight this hard - then again, I usually winched them up with my 4/0 rig, which now seemed hardly fair at all.

While having fun with the grunts, I had good hit and this one took some drag. Thought it might be another Aj, but it turned out to be a little red grouper.

While we were busy catching grunts, a school of 8 or more cobia showed up, and being as lucky as I am, I quickly hooked the smallest one in the school - it was too short to keep, and was let free.

Luckily, Dave was hooked up right away as soon as mine was in the net. During the 20 minutes fight, the saying "bringing a knife to a gunfight" was brought up more than one accassion.

Dave ended up landing the fish - yep, over 33 to the fork. We also brought in another legal fish before they went away. I wish Joe or Calvin was with us as I wanted that 40 pounder that keep swimming around during the fight. But, we are happy with the two in the box.

This is what we brought home.

And, afer some quick knife work.

In total, we brought home 6 different species of fish - trout, seabass, flounder, grunts, spanish and cobia. We could add AJ, lizardfish and ladyfish to the list, which we didnt keep. And if we count progy, pinfish and pigfish, we caught a total of 12 species of fish. There's no better way to answer someone who ask why do you like fishing in saltwater more than in freshwater.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton 10/3/08

Post by Reel Slow »

Nice cobes!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Wow, what a trip! There is a lot of different fish out there now, for sure. I think we caught about 12 different kinds last Tuesday if you count the baitfish.Congrats on the big cobes.
Yours in the South
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Wow!
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Nice meat trip!! :thumbup: :beer:
Perch Jerker
Site Sponsor

Post by Perch Jerker »

Good job guys.
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Awesome day guys.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Dinner is takin' care of :lick:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Wow! Nice day!!
Team Jolly Mon
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Great Trip! :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Another good trip.
What was I supposed to do today?
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Nice day on the water.
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Eerman wrote:Dinner is takin' care of :lick:
Maybe for a couple of nights :thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Another great day and a good report to go along with it. Breambuster, I've enjoyed reading your reports in the past and always left with the feeling of "now that fellow knows what he's doing"! With that being said.... do not fix what ain't broke!! If I had the consistent success that you do at Keaton, you'd never see me at Carrabelle. :-D :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Sir reel wrote:Another great day and a good report to go along with it. Breambuster, I've enjoyed reading your reports in the past and always left with the feeling of "now that fellow knows what he's doing"! With that being said.... do not fix what ain't broke!! If I had the consistent success that you do at Keaton, you'd never see me at Carrabelle. :-D :thumbup:
The problem is I would like to catch a keeper grouper on my boat. Getting a bigger boat is not an option as I cant get rid of the one I now own in todays market.