Wakulla Beach

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cameron

Wakulla Beach

Post by cameron »

Just got a Prowler. New to this site. Put in at Wakulla Beach last week. Beautiful. 17' trout & a little trout. Any specific tips for where to fish around there? Seems like a great location back in there.
outdoor7or24

Re: Wakulla Beach

Post by outdoor7or24 »

Welcome...
I have fished Wakulla Beach for two years... It seems like the fall is better fishing... I think I am gona try it this Saturday...
Where to fish? Haha, I am not 100% were to tell you to go as I am still learning the area.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Welcome aboard - look towards the creeks on the eastern and western banks. There is a nice channel that run north and south in that bay that holds fish from time to time. Look forward to your reports :thumbup: :thumbup:
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

When I put in there I go either up the creeks to the east or west, or paddle out to Paddy's Island.

You didn't have a bad trip for there, it can be hit or miss. I've caught some nice trout and reds out of that area, but not a lot. I think I've only been there twice when I could have, figuratively, loaded the cooler with slot trout.
outdoor7or24

Post by outdoor7or24 »

I have fished wakulla beach 2 times in the past two weeks. First trip, I went to the west, nothing. Second trip, I went to the east, one trout and one sail cat....
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Welcome to the boards!
Team Jolly Mon
cameron

Post by cameron »

Appreciate the tips! Can't wait to get back out there & give it a try. Thanks! I'll report later!
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I don't have have any tips but i do have a tip for you.....watch out for Suber :wink:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

.....watch out for Suber
.. and the majority of other folks on the forum :o
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
outdoor7or24

Post by outdoor7or24 »

Well, it was windddyyy out there today.
Started off around 11am and on second cast, a trout took my topwater. I thought this was good start to my day. Well, that was all except for one catfish, and two more miss hits on the topwater.
Water was way outa the bay cause of tide and NE winds. I saw some spots dry that I have never seen dry before.
cameron

Post by cameron »

Made it out today about noon, but put in at St. Marks Lighthouse, not Wakulla Beach. Gorgeous day. No one around. Paddled west and up the East River area. Fished around the oyster beds and shallow areas. Got into a nice little spot where I thought the reds were, but can't seem to be in the right spot at the right time. One red got away in about 5 inches of water on a gold spoon. Very shallow back up in there. Watched a bald eagle soaring above me for a nice long while. Sun shining through his tail feathers. Lunch on the oyster beds. Wind died down completely. Headed back to Gulf with tide coming in. Some action, but nothing biting for me. Literally, one bite all day. Is it me? :) May be. Paddled around in front of lighthouse about 5:30pm - great light shining on it. Enjoyed watching the porpoises eating nearby. Couple of guys on the oyster bar fishing as I went in - they said all they caught was a flounder. Great day - LOTS of paddling, NO FISH :( But WORTH IT, any day.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

cameron wrote:Made it out today about noon, but put in at St. Marks Lighthouse, not Wakulla Beach. Gorgeous day. No one around. Paddled west and up the East River area. Fished around the oyster beds and shallow areas. Got into a nice little spot where I thought the reds were, but can't seem to be in the right spot at the right time. One red got away in about 5 inches of water on a gold spoon. Very shallow back up in there. Watched a bald eagle soaring above me for a nice long while. Sun shining through his tail feathers. Lunch on the oyster beds. Wind died down completely. Headed back to Gulf with tide coming in. Some action, but nothing biting for me. Literally, one bite all day. Is it me? :) May be. Paddled around in front of lighthouse about 5:30pm - great light shining on it. Enjoyed watching the porpoises eating nearby. Couple of guys on the oyster bar fishing as I went in - they said all they caught was a flounder. Great day - LOTS of paddling, NO FISH :( But WORTH IT, any day.

Hey! Can't beat that any day.. Sounds like you had a good time....
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

You'll have to come out to our Monthly tournament Nov 1 at Hickory Mounds. We will be putting in at first light, we have prizes, and its free to fish.
Dabbler

Post by Dabbler »

Thanks for report. Nice post. Better photo. I'm old and harmless but not blind.