Baiting with live shrimp

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ladyinreds

Baiting with live shrimp

Post by ladyinreds »

hello, i'm new to the board and have never fished the big bend, but I thought I'd ask your expert opinion before I venture out with my son to the St. Marks area this week. He's 9 and hasn't fished hardly at all. What do you think would be the easiest and most effective bait for trout (or whatever)? I was thinking live shrimp on light jighead; or live shrimp under cajun thunder; or live shrimp with little split shot. Or would it be easier to use a gulp jig under a cajun thunder or just by itself. Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks, Christine
CrispyFishin

Re: Baiting with live shrimp

Post by CrispyFishin »

All of the above could work at one time or the other, I think.

Enjoy St. Marks!

Maybe your little guy will have scallops to swim for next summer.
Work 'em silly Gators!!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Welcome! All your ideas will work well this time of year. Personally, I don't see need for shrimp as Gulps work great and are generally easier to cast.
I use a cork and jig combo a lot if water is at least two feet and light jig only if less. Just my thoughts....tides this weekend look quite favorable!
Good luck! Look forward to reports! Nine is a great age to get hooked on fishing!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Welcome to the boards. I agree with RHTFISH, give the little guy a GULP on a jig head and go to town. Tight lines!!
Team Jolly Mon
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Flint River Pirate wrote:Welcome to the boards. I agree with RHTFISH, give the little guy a GULP on a jig head and go to town. Tight lines!!

Sounds about right. He should get enough action to keep it interesting.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Keep the water shallow the leader short, no treble hook lures for little guys, shrimp are great but a gulp will give him more chances to get it right, the shrimp will get stole and sling off to easy. Keep the life jacket on him when running for sure the water is to cold now also check your safety gear and use your kill switch file a float plan and have fun.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

What a mess wrote: Keep the life jacket on him when running for sure the water is to cold now also check your safety gear and use your kill switch file a float plan and have fun.
I maybe wrong but I think kids under 13 have to wear it until they're back on land.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
What a mess wrote: Keep the life jacket on him when running for sure the water is to cold now also check your safety gear and use your kill switch file a float plan and have fun.
I maybe wrong but I think kids under 13 have to wear it until they're back on land.
You are right RC, or my parents played a sick joke on me growing up! :lol:
Team Jolly Mon
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Flint River Pirate wrote:
Reel Cowboy wrote:
You are right RC, or my parents played a sick joke on me growing up! :lol:
I think is the great part about having kids. We don't have any but I could see it as being a plus.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Hell, just buy a big block of chum and hang it over the side. soak a piece of scrimp on the bottom. prolly will only catch cat fish, but might get into a big red or at least a shark. Just get something that will stretch his line out and you'll be a hero.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
ladyinreds

Post by ladyinreds »

Great tips! Thank you very much. I agree about the safety. I have good equipment, and have the safety part down. I fished for years with my Daddy who went every week somewhere. I just need to take it very slow here until i learn the creeks and river better, but i've studied the aerials and maps and see lots of hazards.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

ladyinreds wrote: lots of hazards.
Lots of fish as well.
Spend some time puttering around and bumping off of stuff.
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

Welcome and good luck.
Pirate Girl
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Welcome aboard :smt006 looks like they got ya set on the fishin part "the catchin is up to you" :-D as for the regs about PFD's and children
Minimum Required Safety Equipment for Class 1 Recreational Vessels(16 to less than 26ft / 4.9 to less than 7.9m)
Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)
One approved Type I, II, or III for each person on board or being towed on water skis etc., in addition, one throwable Type IV device

Must be USCG approved. Must be in serviceable condition. Must be properly stored.

NOTE:A Type V hybrid may substituted for any Type I, II, or III device, but it must actually be worn whenever the vessel is underway and the person is not in the cabin or other enclosed area.

Class I:Every person on board under the age of six (6) must wear an approved Type I, II, or III while the vessel is underway.

Water Skier: Every person skiing or aquaplaning must wear an approved Type I, II, or III PFD. Inflatable PFDs are prohibited.

Fire Extinguisher

Must be USCG approved
Must be serviceable condition
One USCG-approved B-1 type fire extinguisher is required for all recreational motorboats except outboard-powered motorboats less than 26 feet long if constructed in a manner that will not allow gas fumes to accumulate. If your boat has a built-in fuel tank, an inboard engine, compartments where portable fuel tanks may be stored, or open areas between the hull and deck where flammable or explosive gases could accumulate, you must carry a fire extinguisher. Non-motorized boats are exempt from the fire extinguisher requirements.

NOTE: When an approved fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in the machinery space(s), it may be counted in the place of one B-I type hand-held portable fire extinguisher. Some fire extinguishers require specific mounting brackets for approval. Read the label on your fire extinguisher for this information.

Visual Distress Signal

Required on the high sea and coastal waters only
Must carry visual distress signal for both day and nighttime use.

NOTE: Coastal waters means the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, and all bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc. where any entrance is over two (2) miles wide to the first point where the distance between shorelines narrows to 2 miles.

Sound Producing Device

(bell, horn, whistle etc.)
Every vessel less than 12 meters (39.4 ft) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device. The sound producing device need not meet any particular specifications, as long as the vessel can produce signals required by the navigational rules.
Hope y'all catch a bunch and have a great time :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
ladyinreds

Post by ladyinreds »

very informative. Thank you