flounder giggin

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skeeter-eater

flounder giggin

Post by skeeter-eater »

Hey All,
It seems like i caught more flounder this past summer than can ever remember catchin. That got my wheels turning about coming back in the winter and giggin em. Well here it is and I've been in the mood to go giggin. so i went out and bought me a nice stainless gig and underwater floundering lights. My problem is that i haven't found a place that is easily accessible in the dark. I was thinking about trying dickerson bay down there in panacea by hook-wrecked-henry's. anyone ever tried it there? good idea? bad idea? any other recommendations. PS...i'll be doing this from a 15 ft river-hawk....i'm not all about stepin on sting rays.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: flounder giggin

Post by Tom Keels »

BBB is the local flounder gigging expert. Hopefully he will chime in and give some advice. Welcome aboard.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I would put in at Bottoms landing :-D lots of good flats area within a short distance :thumbup: :thumbup:

The GPS coordinates at the bottom of the pic is where the ramp is at "the end of Bottoms Rd." :beer:
LINK TO THE LARGER VERSION OF THE PIC :smt004 :beer:
http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w126 ... kerson.jpg
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

i thought the flounder went into deeper water in the winter ?
Pirate Girl
bbb

Post by bbb »

I haven't had much luck trying to flounder between late Oct through March. From what I have read, most flounder migrate offshore to spawn. Some fish do stay inshore year around though.

I would practice up on sheepshead and mullet this time of year. They are very plentiful and hang around the oyster bars.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Try catching them with a hook and line.
bbb

Post by bbb »

The limit is the same whether you catch them hook and line or stick them with stainless steel, whether you fish out of a kayak or a 21' bay boat.

Why does it matter how you do it?
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

bbb wrote:The limit is the same whether you catch them hook and line or stick them with stainless steel, whether you fish out of a kayak or a 21' bay boat.

Did ol' Suber touch a nerve bro? He has a knack for it. :wink:
skeeter-eater

Post by skeeter-eater »

thanks everyone for the info.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

bbb wrote:The limit is the same whether you catch them hook and line or stick them with stainless steel, whether you fish out of a kayak or a 21' bay boat.

It matters because you can catch and release the flounder, and its hard to stab and release them because they don't swim very well with four holes in them.. Yea the limits the same but there's a reason we don't have as big a flounder in the gulf and its partly because a bunch of guys go out sight stabbing them at night before they mature with four or five battery's on their boats and shining lights on their little eyes, blinding them, and then sinking a few metal spikes into their back. We have very shallow water around the gulf and its easy to gig flounder, but its at least sporting to catch them with hook and line. And I hope your going all the way and do the flounder stabbing in a loud obnoxious airboat. I just get to be loud and obnoxious without the airboat. I wounder if other folks would object to the flounder stabbing as much as me if they were allowed to site stab Redfish and Trout too. Maybe they should legalize deer gigging with helicopters in an open field too.

Sorry, I just object to Flounder gigging, and think its more sporting to catch them on hook and line, but to each his own.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

jsuber wrote:

It matters because you can catch and release the flounder, and its hard to stab and release them because they don't swim very well with four holes in them.. Yea the limits the same but there's a reason we don't have as big a flounder in the gulf and its partly because a bunch of guys go out sight stabbing them at night before they mature with four or five battery's on their boats and shining lights on their little eyes, blinding them, and then sinking a few metal spikes into their back. We have very shallow water around the gulf and its easy to gig flounder, but its at least sporting to catch them with hook and line. And I hope your going all the way and do the flounder stabbing in a loud obnoxious airboat. I just get to be loud and obnoxious without the airboat. I wounder if other folks would object to the flounder stabbing as much as me if they were allowed to site stab Redfish and Trout too. Maybe they should legalize deer gigging with helicopters in an open field too.

Sorry, I just object to Flounder gigging, and think its more sporting to catch them on hook and line, but to each his own.
Be careful there chief, wouldn't want to lose your footing on that slippery slope.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Who wants some egg nog? :oops: :o
Team Jolly Mon
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Anyone who thinks gigging flounder is easy, aint never gigged one :smt004 don't know that I've ever seen anyone giggin from an airboat neither :smt012 and IMO, you can choose how big or little a fish you want to gig :thumbup: but ya can't choose which one will bite a hook :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
bbb

Post by bbb »

flounderpounder wrote:

Did ol' Suber touch a nerve bro? He has a knack for it. :wink:

I know. This isn't the first time I've seen responses like this from him. :sleep:

He might want to spend his money on fancy nancy over the top kayaks and camera's to take pictures of his fish only to put them back in the pond, but I'd rather spend my money on a generator, hps lights and a full size freezer. I got a big family to feed.

Maybe this picture will make him pull what hair he has left out. :lol:

GatorBaiter

Post by GatorBaiter »

Bet they taste the same no matter how you catch em'. I wonder how many young immature fish are injured or killed due to hook and line fishing...
"People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
Boy...we sure have come a long way since then!