Keaton Beach 1-3-09

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach 1-3-09

Post by Reel Cowboy »

The alarm went off at 4 this morning and Reel Cowgirl wasn't exactly thrilled but off she and I and my Dad went. I had a plan to target some bars that really do well in the cooler weather :thumbup: . I had new rods and new reels with new line and a few new plugs. I was prepared. I thought. 8)
The FOG was horrible and should have been a hint but ahead we drove, into the wild gray yonder. A quick stop at Wilson's for ice and some GULP! for Dad, a couple of biscuits at McDonald's and to the ramp we went. The FOG wasn't getting any better but we marched on.
We launched at 7:30ish and were soon met by a thick blanket of, yep FOG. Idling out through the channel markers and hearing the boats all around made me feel like an idiot but stupid is as stupid does. I coasted us onto a grass flat with some decent potholes and spotty bottom to let the fishing begin. 2 hours later I had a hunger trout knocking a Top Dog outta the water 2 or 3 times but couldn't get him/her hooked :smt011 . When I got back the plug back to the boat, I checked and sure enough it had 2 sets of hooks and it caught me twice before I could cast it back out. That was it for that flat.
The fog lifted a little and we ran up to Yates Creek. We fished around some bars and hooked a couple of redfish, I think, on a pink Capt' Mike's spoon. But alas, they too were destined to live another day :smt009 . We decided we'd had enough and headed for the trailer.
Dad and I really wanted to pick up some rock bass or possible grouper so turned back around and headed out the canal again. Some jackleg :hammer: :hammer: was casting across the canal and snagged my dang prop. I caught his line off the foot, we exchanged some words :smt075 and decided his leader wasn't worth as much as a foot for a 150 Optimax. We got loaded up, pulled most of the line out from around the prop and brought it home. Prop off and line removed, she looks fine.
Thanks for reading and it can only get better from here. :smt098
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Chalk

Re: Keaton Beach 1-3-09

Post by Chalk »

Beat sitting at home didn't it :thumbup: :thumbup:
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I was hinting I wanted to go with you glad you didn't get my drift.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Chalk wrote:Beat sitting at home didn't it :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yep.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

You got out RC, which is way more than I've done in a while and don't think I'll down for at least two weeks. Nice trip. :thumbup:

I'm about to go nuts. Next time I get out, I don't care if all I do is ride around and check out the "grounds."
"Plan for the worst."
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Nice job RC, glad your prop was ok. I had a mechanic tell me the other day that I need to pull my prop off every couple of months to look for fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft. He said it can cut through the seal. I have added that to my checklist. How did my reel do RC?
Team Jolly Mon
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sorry to hear about the line in the prop. Fishing line will, indeed, cut the prop shaft seals.
What was I supposed to do today?
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Glad you got our there anyway. How did your homemade rods hold up?
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Eerman wrote: How did your homemade rods hold up?
They held up great. Better action than I expected and weight close to nothing with the Stradic and Okuma mounted up.
You need some rods?
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Another adventurous fishing report. This weekend seems full of these stories. Glad you got out, though :thumbup: :thumbup:
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

tough luck bro, I have wanted to get into the rodbuilding thing but havnt yet, what kind of books and such did you use to get started?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

FP, I didn't get any books just videos on youtube and a couple of rodbuilding forums. It's pretty addictive but everybody needs a hobby. I trying to figure out a way to make it at least pay for itself and make a little money down the road.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

what color top dog where you using?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

dombern34 wrote:what color top dog where you using?
Chartruese and bone
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

nice trip RC.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image