Braided Line Experiences?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Braided Line Experiences?

Post by lordsfisher »

I didn't see any past discussion under search for braided lines. I was considering PowerPro Braided on my spinning reels. Right now I use 8 lb. mono. It might take a little longer to get reds in, but never get broken off.

Is this stuff worth the upgrade, particularly with casting distance?
Is PowerPro the best or is another brand better?
I'm assuming I'd tie a mono leader on, or is that necessary?
Do I need to spray some kind of conditioner on it to keep it slick for long casting?

Thanks for your advice.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Braided Line Experiences?

Post by Tom Keels »

I like braid for everything but topwater. Try it and you'll like it. I always use fluorocarbon leader and spray down with reel magic.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

I use powerpro 15 exclusively with a 20lb flouro leader. It may be a bit heavy for trout, but I've never had a problem with casting distance since I've been using it. The only maintenance I've had is making sure it doesn't get loose around the bell, or it will tangle. I usually a good bit of mono underneath the braid, but not so much that you would be able to see it after a long cast.

Follow the directions on the box and you shouldn't have any trouble.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I use Powerpro and I love it! In the past I used a mono backing but after watching an episode of "Spanish Fly" Jose Wejebe recommended puting a strip of duct tape on the bare reel, then put the power pro on top of it. That way there isn't a possible disaster if the blood knot breaks at the mono/braid. I tried it and it works great. I can also use a whole roll on my 2500's. :thumbup: That is just mine and Jose's .02 cents. :-D
Team Jolly Mon
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

That is a good tip FRP, I learned that trick from Matt Vance with Berkley several years go. That tape stops it from spinning and does a great. I have had it on a couple of reels for several years. And yes that powerpro is good stuff.
GEAUX TIGERS!
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

My uni knots never break. :roll:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I never really liked Power Pro but have used Sufix Performance braid and Stren Super braid. Both of those have done me a fine job. The word on the street is to close the bail manually and it will help keep the wind knots out.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

WaltDawg wrote:My uni knots never break. :roll:
Then you aint caught any big fish. :-D When you loose a big one you will change your mind Cuz.
GEAUX TIGERS!
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Good stuff! :thumbup: Let me debate this a bit. FRP, what's the deal with the duct tape? Let me see if I have this straight? Take the reel with no line on it, and wrap the inside of the spool with duct tape. Then i put a full spool of braid on there? Anything Jose Wejebe does is worthwhile. Now that he's getting up in years, I hope he's given up wearing the speedo while fishing. ha Of course that would be one way for me to keep anglers a fair distance from my boat.

What's the problem with trying braid for topwater? Shows up too much?

I've stopped using 20 lb flurocarbon leaders right now. The water's been clear and when tied straight to 8 lb. test, I started getting hits. Might have just been cooincidence. I feel more confident having a leader. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated, and good discussion.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Lordsfisher, yeah according to Jose just wrap the spool once in duct tape then puut the Power Pro on top of it. I always did like WaltDawg and used a mono backing but I agree with what you said....anything the Spanish Fly does is obviously a good technique. :D I did it on two reels and I have had no issues at all with it.
Team Jolly Mon
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

This past weekend I took a Law School Professor fishing from FSU. He had two reels with Mono on them and I use 15 lb power pro. He was having a hard time walking the dog with the super spook I gave him. So I gave him one of my rods and used one of his and noticed that I had an exagerated rod tip movement with the mono. With the braid I just use a short twitch to walk the dog on a super spook or skitter walk by bouncing my wrist up and down to get the back and forth action that causes the fish to strike. However, with the mono, it has so much give and stretch that I had to move the rod a lot to get the same action. If I had to do that all day long I would be exhausted. I love using a baitcaster with braid for topwater. Works great and the braid has no give. I use 18" of flouro leader at 20 lb test and tie it with an albright knot to my braid. The flour has a little give and the fish set the hook on the strike without me having to jerk the rod sharply "Roland Martin style". I don't like using the spinning reel with top water because it causes the line to get a wind knot in it with the line loose and tight, and loose and tight using the walk the dog action.

Just my two cents
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I never had an issue walking a top water bait with a spinning reel but then again I may just be a natural at it. It looks so good fish don't want it to stop so they don't bite it.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Thanks Mr. Suber. You're like the "Jose Wejebe" of the Big Bend!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

lordsfisher wrote:Thanks Mr. Suber. You're like the "Jose Wejebe" of the Big Bend!
Oh wow, now Jeff's kayak is going to flip over because his head is so big! :-D He does know his stuff and he is a sportsman to boot! :thumbup:
Team Jolly Mon
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

20 or 30lb Power Pro is all that I fish now. Make sure that you put tape on your spool or some mono backing. Hard to beat with a 20lb flurocarbon leader for anything that swims in the skinny water :thumbup: :thumbup: