Mosquito Lagoon 1/8&9/2009

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

Mosquito Lagoon 1/8&9/2009

Post by tin can »

Got to the lagoon about 10 on Thursday to find the water very low, and a 15 to 20 north wind. After much searching, I finally found a few fish about 4:30. Caught 2 small reds and 1 trout. Went back to the same place Friday morning. Still a strong 10 to 15 north wind. I feel like I had found "The Spot", as 8 more boats showed up soon after daylight. 3 were guide boats. The fish were there, buried in the bottom. At around mid day the moon rose, and the wind turned out of the northeast, and kicked up a notch. Finally gave up at 5, and decided it wasn't worth staying.

Every one was fishing shallow. The area that was holding fish was a very large flat, less than a foot deep. Around 30 boats moved in and out of the area during the day. I did not catch a fish on Friday. I did not see any one else catch a fish on Friday.

Blue bird skies, a cold front, a north wind, and a full moon. Maybe next time.
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Re: Mosquito Lagoon 1/8&9/2009

Post by Reel Slow »

Sounds like too much competition..

Makes me appreciate the panhandle even more :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Reel Slow wrote:Sounds like too much competition..
This flat was probably 600 acres. Plenty of room. I was never crowded, and every one kept their distance from other boats.
Reel Slow wrote:Makes me appreciate the panhandle even more :thumbup:
Yep. It's hard to beat what we have in our own back yard.
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

You made it to the Goon and back, couldn't have been all that bad.
You can't beat the Big Bend for lack of pressure.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Sorry you didn't have a little more luck; but, it's something different. I've heard stories of people crashing your party; but, I've always had good luck down there with people giving you space.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Fishing was slow around these parts too. Can't wait for that moon to leave soon. Maybe next weekend. Sounds like a good scouting trip though, and yes we do have a lot to appreciate around here.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Yeah TC, at least you tried something different, that is cool. I would like to head down that way one day, maybe in the spring. I have also really wanted to try Tampa Bay for reds.
Team Jolly Mon
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Flint River Pirate wrote:I have also really wanted to try Tampa Bay for reds.
FRP, I know guy down there that does pretty well. He's not a guide just a rec guy.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Reel Cowboy wrote:
Flint River Pirate wrote:I have also really wanted to try Tampa Bay for reds.
FRP, I know guy down there that does pretty well. He's not a guide just a rec guy.
Let's go see your buddy! I will drive. :-D
Team Jolly Mon
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

When do you want to leave?
Actually I have a vendor down there that kinda owes me a trip. He doesn't fish but for the amount of $$$$ I send his way, he'll cover the trip.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Seriously, I am ready! I am ready to see a Fishin Styx in action!
Team Jolly Mon
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sounds like some mighty tuff conditions John :smt012 but every trip out is a learning experiance :-D :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

TC,I fished that area last year in late March of last year. Sounds like we found the same area you found, they call it the Whale Tail. We watched 40+inch reds swim all around the boat, and the only folks catching them were the folks on the guide boats. We were told that the only bait that they would even consider eating was live shrimp.... just about the only thin that we didn't bring with us. :smt012 Tricky area to fish for sure.
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Tough couple days John, but its good to hear a report from a different region,good or bad.
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

Tin Can Just curious where did you put in? I fish the lagoon all the time since I moved to Orlando a few years ago. I usually put in at the state park in the north mosquito lagoon. North of the main basin, i.e. george's bar. This time of the year the water is pretty low for the lagoon and many of the spots are back in deeper holes in creeks, and soem old channels that are not marked on maps. I have found that the blue bird days are the worst. Two thing to rememebr about the lagoon 1. when conditions are tough dont try and re0invent the whell, i.e. live shrimp on very light line or chunk mullet work the best. 2. and try not to use the trolling motor. these fish have some many people fish them they are very aware of the sounds they make. Next time him me up and I'll gladly give you some spots to try. Summer time boat is much much worse. If you come summer time you'll be off the water by 9:30 because of all the Jack legs buzzing the flat and run all out very very close. Take care ~~Dillon Reeves~~
One of the greatest things in this life is to know yourself.