Any electricians around here?????

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Any electricians around here?????

Post by dolphinatic »

I wanted to check to see if any of you might either be electricians or know somebody before I call one. We had a transformer blow a few weeks ago on our street, and lost power for a bit. Ever since then, none of the outlets in my garage work or the outlets on the exterior of my house including my floodlights. Everything else in the house is fine. I've got NO tripped breakers and have gone through every one of them twice with no luck. I've been too busy lately to do much about it, but it's beginning to be an inconvenience while trying to work around the house. Thanks in advance for any input you guys might have :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--Tom
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
waterman

Re: Any electricians around here?????

Post by waterman »

Check all of your ground fault recepticals. most likely one has tripped.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I pressure washed my house and ruined some replaced them all if you don't see a little green light you ain't in business.
Mash the reset button.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

What waterman said, and also look in your breaker box and see if one of the breakers also has a little reset button. If so press it.

I have also seen a ground fault in a bathroom series wired to an outside receptacle, so be sure and check the ones inside also.

Some electricians wire outside receptacles into a ground fault breaker in the box.

WAM, they all do not have green lights.....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

They do around here!
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
shnstone

Post by shnstone »

Had the same problem turned out to be a ground fault recep in a small interior bathroom that we never use I reset it the outside ones were good to go.
Shoot up amongst us ,one of us has to have some relief !
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Thanks guys......I'll check 'em out tomorrow in the a.m. :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I've had the same issue. The GFI plug in the laundry was controlling every external plug and light. That left me scratching my head for a bit.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Florida building code says you gotta have all exterior recepticles and fixtures on a GFCI. I think in Georgia, they just run a cord out the window ;-)
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Talltails wrote:Florida building code says you gotta have all exterior recepticles and fixtures on a GFCI. I think in Georgia, they just run a cord out the window ;-)
Same way here. Most of the time people will lose a freezer because the GFI on the porch tripped and since they don't use it often ruin a bunch of stuff about a week later.
Hint: Take the dang thing out & be done with it.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

You have a GFI tripped somewhere. There may be a flush mount in a wall receptacle that has no plugs on it tripped, or there may be one that is a receptale that has been tripped. But like everyone else has siad you probably have a GFI tripped, and check the breakers one, may be lightly tripped and you can find it by resetting them all or running your fingers across them to see if one is tripped by its firmness or lack there of.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Talltails wrote:I think in Georgia, they just run a cord out the window ;-)
That's what I have been doing :smt005 I got alot of family in GA, so I guess I get a pass :roll: Finally had enough of that after a busy day of work around the house yesterday :x

Team BevisRealty.com
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

dolphinatic wrote:
Talltails wrote:I think in Georgia, they just run a cord out the window ;-)
That's what I have been doing :smt005 I got alot of family in GA, so I guess I get a pass :roll: Finally had enough of that after a busy day of work around the house yesterday :x
You guys are only nice to us when you want our water! :lol: And by the way I have some family in North Florida, so I know that extension cord trick started down there. :-D
Team Jolly Mon
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I am not an electrician, I am a technician.
But, I have to know all about electricity to do my technicity.

I would start exactly where these guys suggested.

GFI>>>GFI>>>GFI>>>
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

shnstone wrote:Had the same problem turned out to be a ground fault recep in a small interior bathroom that we never use I reset it the outside ones were good to go.

Mine did the same thing, My ground fault recep was in the laundry room.

Good Luck,
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.