Key West 17' 90 day report

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dbplug
Site Sponsor

Key West 17' 90 day report

Post by dbplug »

Be forwarned, I am a first time boat owner, and a little picky(anal). I thought I would give a 90 day eval of the KW boat I purchased.

1720 Key WestCC Sportsman
90 HP 2 stroke Yamaha
Performance single axle trailer(pvw17)
USA Trail tires(made in USA!!! shocking)
CG equipped
Uniden handheld VHF Radio( model POS, I keep it as a backup), bought a Standard 470HX, very nice))
Hour meter, reads 44 hours this moment
Eagle bottom unit/fish finder(Cuda168)
Leaning post seat w/ 94 qt. cooler
Livewell
Swim platform with ladder
Anchor(Hooker 7H0)
Bimini Top
Boat cover
~$15,900

Bought at Jacks in Perry, Waymon has been berry berry good to me. A good man.

Let me say where I have been with it. All over the Lanark area, Alligator Point, Bob Sikes Cut, St. Marks and St. Marks to Aucilla, Indian Pass, St. Joe Bay, Bell Shoals off Mexico Beach, and Keaton. Use the boat for fishing, scalloping, tubing, and just as an excuse to see the wife in a bikini. In that order.

I pull it with a 96 Bronco 351ci 4X4. Normally get 15 MPG on the Bronco, drops to about 10 MPG with the boat. Occasionally pull it with a 1988 Chevy C1500 350 ci 4X4, no problems. Don’t know what MPG I get with the Chevy, don’t care.

Start with the trailer: Sits low enough to get in anywhere that I have been. Has standard guide rail, not pcv, has always sat just right when taken out. I have about 1.5â€
for petes sake
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

I will note, I can launch the boat any where solo. however, I CANNOT, REPEAT, CANNOT put it back on the trailer at Indian pass without bodily injury.
for petes sake
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Wow! Good report on the boat. I personally would like to see more boat reviews. Maybe that could be a new section. :thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Great report. Thanks :thumbup:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Execellent report db.
Semper Fi
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

:thumbup:
Doublehooks

Key West 17'

Post by Doublehooks »

Thanks for the evaluation. I am looking at the 216 Bay Reef. I have onlyheard goog things about Key West boats.

Did you shop around or was Jacks the only dealer you went to? Was Jacks willing to deal? I plan on going down there soon to see what they will do on the 216 Bay Reef.
Doublehooks
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

DB, get the 72# thrust Minn Kota Riptide trolling motor. With the addition of the trolling motor you'll have a fine complete rig.

Thanks for the very thorough report.
What was I supposed to do today?
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

The KW 216 looks like a great boat. Waymon down at Jacks came very highly recommended. He has not let me down. I could have driven to Tampa Bay area and saved about $500.00, but I would rather have my dealer closer to home.

I would not count on driving a hard bargain, but Waymon will treat you right.

I put on a MK riptide 65# bow mount, its awesome. I owe you folks the 120 day report, it will be coming soon.
for petes sake
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

I like Key West boats. I have the KW 19-6 Bay/Reef, with a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke and a Minn Kota 55# thrust trolling motor on it. I have had it out 20 miles off Mexico Beach on a good day and fish every weekend in it inshore. It has a lot of storage space, much more than my old Whaler 17, (and it also goes into shallower water than the Whaler).

I had a problem with the anchor well not draining quickly enough but a trip to the dealer and the fiberglass trash from manufacture was cleaned out and no problems since. I have absolutely no complaints. Sometimes they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. My neighbo/fishing buddy down the street liked mine so much he bought the identical rig, down to the electronics, etc a couple of weeks ago.
od
Doublehooks

Key West Boat

Post by Doublehooks »

I think I am close to finalizing terms on a 21-6 Bay Reef. I have shopped three dealers and the best deal is from Bob's Marine Village in Lake City. The quoted boat price is more than the other dealers but the trade in allowance is so much better. The bottom lone is what really counts. Did you say your 19-6 handles better than your Boston Whaler. I had my eye on a 220 Dauntless Boston Whaler, $46,700. I am trying to convince my wife it is a good deal because it has an enclosed portable toilet. How would you compare a Key West vs. Boston Whaler? There is quite a differencein prices. The Whaler would cost about $19000 more.

I would appreciate your input.

Doublehooks
Doublehooks
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

The Whaler was a fine riding boat and I felt very comfortable in it far offshore, but the deep vee prevented me from getting into some of the shallow ater areas I like to fish. Tin Can was with me once when I had difficulty getting over part of the Dry Bar at Apalachicola in the Whaler, and can testify about the scrapping over the oyster shells till I got across, and I've never had that problem with the KW. Also, the hull strength of the KW is stronger. The Whaler had a very thin skin and was prone to puncture in some of the wild places I like to fish. The Whaler also had wood core in places and that could become water loogged. The KW has no wood. I've also heard that the newer Whalers, with the new company in charge, might not be the same Whaler of old.
od