3/26. 27 FCKA Tournament Pre-Fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

3/26. 27 FCKA Tournament Pre-Fishing

Post by Littoral »

Saturday's Tournament was canceled.
Slams (trout, redfish, flounder) Thursday and Friday. Best was Friday at 58” (Flounder 14, Redfish 24, Trout 20).
Not the biggest slam but in 25 knot winds and turbid water I was more than satisfied.
Both days I set up on the leeside of a bar and chummed with a lot of fresh shrimp heads. I worked an Equalizer with a gulp (noise + scent) for the Redfish and Trout and one of 4 flounder. The other 3 flounder were off the bottom with a Gulp, all were 14”. Bring on Saturday.

Fishing conditions I never would have otherwise was worth the education.
That said, I would have appreciated a chance to fish in a modified version of the tournament on Sunday.
No doubt, canceling was the right call. So was raffling the prizes. People came from a long ways and the fair thing to do was to give everyone a fair chance to win. A reasonable way to accommodate the people who could compete on Sunday would have been to not raffle one kayak and fish for it the next day. Everybody I spoke with thought that was the right idea, including at least 10 FCKA members, except one (who I did not speak with). I clearly don't get it.

I sure did enjoy the great food, beer, and talking yaks and fishing with a lot of nice people.
Raising $$$ for the Senior Citizens Center was great. On a side note, when I have to pick up my kids late after school it’s the folks with the Senior Citizens Center that supervise and do a great job taking care of them.

Suber and the committee, thanks for your hard work and putting on a great event. I look forward to seeing ya’ll on the water. Expect me paddle up to say hello.

Littoral
adj. Of or on a shore, especially a seashore: the littoral biogeographic zone.
n. 1. A coastal region; a shore. 2. The region or zone between the limits of high and low tides.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
caseycook

Re: 3/26. 27 FCKA Tournament Pre-Fishing

Post by caseycook »

Nice day in tough conditions, Lit.
Boom goes the dynamite.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: 3/26. 27 FCKA Tournament Pre-Fishing

Post by jsuber »

Littoral wrote:Saturday's Tournament was canceled.
A reasonable way to accommodate the people who could compete on Sunday would have been to not raffle one kayak and fish for it the next day. Everybody I spoke with thought that was the right idea, including at least 10 FCKA members, except one (who I did not speak with). I clearly don't get it.
I was asked about holding back one kayak for a Sunday event, but it would not have been fair to the rest of the people not to raffle off all the kayaks, and very selfish for me to hold one back for a select few to compete for.

If you needed the competition, you could have gotten some people to go in on a Calcutta on Sunday, for $20 per person and fished it out. With 50 people you would have had enough for another yak.

However, if competition is what you are looking for there is the NFGFC monthly tournament on Saturday.

As a side note, you should organize a Green Guide Kayak tournament or get involved in setting up the Kayak Fishing tournament in the Panacea event May 30,31. You could Marshall the Kayak Fishing division. You could also do the Big Bend Fishing Classic in a kayak. They added Redfish this year.

There are many opportunities for you to try some of your ideas.