Lake Miccosukee 4/3/09

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skeeter-eater

Lake Miccosukee 4/3/09

Post by skeeter-eater »

After all of this rain this week I watched the sun shinin all day long today and so i decided to head over to Lake Miccosukee after work to see if i could catch a few specs. I got about an hour's worth of fishin in before dark and caught 6 specs and missed 3. Every single one just about swallowed my jig.....i think they were locked up for the past 3 days and about starved to death. All were pretty good size....but no Lake Talquin size specs.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: Lake Miccosukee 4/3/09

Post by Redbelly »

I love jigging the pads at both Micc and Iamonia
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
skeeter-eater

Post by skeeter-eater »

10-4...we should hook up and go sometime....I live about 2 minutes from soukee.
Fishman
Site Sponsor

Post by Fishman »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
breeze

Post by breeze »

Brother S.E., my nephew and me were also trying the specs at the same time you were but only faired 2. Would love to trade tips with ya seein's how Sukee my most favorite lake in the world to be on! :-D
'If you don't know where you're goin', you could end up anywhere.'
skeeter-eater

Post by skeeter-eater »

breeze wrote:Brother S.E., my nephew and me were also trying the specs at the same time you were but only faired 2. Would love to trade tips with ya seein's how Sukee my most favorite lake in the world to be on! :-D
It sure was pretty out there that day. here's what i was doin:
10 ft jig pole, 1.5 ft of 8 lb test, 1/4 oz yellow hal-fly. fishin in the gator hole on south end of the lake.
didn't catch a single one near a lilly pad....all were around the grass piles. seemed like i caught more fish the more still i kept my pole....they weren't bitin it if i gave it any action....
breeze

Post by breeze »

Well that's a whole lot different than what I was doin', which was trolling the back boat runs with a curly tail jig. Why do you make your line on your jig pole so short? Would a yellow Sally work just as well?
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Good job SE glad to see ya catchin some :thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
skeeter-eater

Post by skeeter-eater »

breeze wrote:Why do you make your line on your jig pole so short? Would a yellow Sally work just as well?
I was born and raised in the glades of south FL.....where any place with spec's in it don't have a place deeper than 5 or 6 feet. that's just how i was raised to catch specs.....it's funny you say that because when i moved up here about 10 years ago and I wanted to try to find a place to catch specs. growin up fishin the 'Big O' i didn't think there was a better spec fishin lake in the land. but when i got up here and started looking for places to spec fish, any article i found told me that Lake Talquin was the number one spec fishin lake in the state. So I started fishin there thinking that specs were caught the same way up here as down there....boy was i wrong....i couldn't catch one. One day i was fishin in the mouth of the Ochlockonee River on Talquin not catchin a darn thing and an old man trolled right by me and caught 3 or 4 slabs.....chapped as hell i finally broke down and asked him what he doin. he told me "son put some line on that pole"...or "start trollin deep in river". and he was right....I learned that the fish up here school up deep in the fall and you have to troll for em. i learned pretty quick that our ways of down south don't work that great........atleat in the fall anyway.....when in rome....do as the romans do.
however, soukee seems to be the exception to the rule....i catch em there the same way there that i fished for down south....fall and spring....i guess that's why i'm partial to that lake....a little piece of home i guess.
I have also had luck fishin that way in talquin, but only this time of year after they have fed deep all winter long and move in shallow to the beds.

i've never tried a sally, but i imagine it would work too.....
breeze

Post by breeze »

I hear what you're saying, brother. Your style of spec fishin' is new to me but hey, that's why it pays to ask questions. That's a technique I want to try on my next trip. Thanks for takin' the time to help a fella out. :thumbup: