Keaton 4/4-5/09

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Breambuster

Keaton 4/4-5/09

Post by Breambuster »

The plan for this trip was for Ddb, Calvin and I to spend a couple of days slinging corks in the flats.

Splashed the boat at 9 am and had 3 trout by 11.30 am when the wind died down giving us a window of opportunity to run to the reef. We were the 2nd boat to get there, quickly found a piece of property a few hundred yards from the other boat and stake our claim. Apparently the sheepies were there waiting for us. Of course, Calvin already had a fish on before I finished rigging my rod.

Calvin and I each put a couple of fish in the box in no time but Dave, being not that into sheephead fishing, was still doing a lot of "swing and a missed", but eventually got the hand of it. They were wide open with numerous doubles coming up at the same time.

I had a fish taking a lot of line as soon as it was hooked up and was showing reddish deep color ....... a hogfish! The trip was turning into barnyard fishing - sheeps and hogs round up.

By about 3 pm, we were running out of room in our cooler.

Of course, all the action on the boat was also catching a lot of attention. There were several boats anchored within casting distance from us. This big center console was shooting the gap between us and another boat not 20 yards away.

Of all the boats that crowded us, the one that took the cake was this (grumpy) "old man and the sea" on a 16' Skiff. He was trolling for grouper, weaving around all the boats but gave up after seeing us with all the action and came straight to us. He proceed to make a donut not 20 feet away around out boat (not exaggerating), then throw a marker less than 20 feet away and started drift fishing. I told him he could fish next to us, but has to shut the engine off as its scarring the fish. He then gave me a lecture about reef fishing and said I know nothing about fishing.

Sunday, the forecast was calling for 15 knots wind in the afternoon but was calm in the morning. We managed to run out to the reef again and caught 22 sheepies in less than 2 hours. Could have fish longer but it was becoming uncomfortable and we have Calvin on board. Came back to the flats and put 12 trout in 4 hours, including this 23'', before calling it a day. The trout were in 3' water, so all the fresh water was not a factor.

What we ended up in 2 days of fishing:
Saturday, about a dozen grunts, 5 trout, 2 hogs, and 31 sheepies.
Sunday, 12 trout and 22 sheepies.
Last edited by Breambuster on June 30th, 2011, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton 4/4-5/09

Post by Sir reel »

A STUPID SILLY SUPER REPORT!!

That was a great video of Calvin. You can tell he has some natural instinct along with good teaching just watching him handle the rod and staying in touch with what's happening on the other end. I'm sure your proud of him... I sure would be! Thanks.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Another great report. Go get um, Calvin.
What was I supposed to do today?
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

That Calvin is all business ! Great report BB !
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice haul Calvin :thumbup: :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

WTG Calvin. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Sir reel wrote:A STUPID SILLY SUPER REPORT!!

That was a great video of Calvin. You can tell he has some natural instinct along with good teaching just watching him handle the rod and staying in touch with what's happening on the other end. I'm sure your proud of him... I sure would be! Thanks.
I've noticed his skills have improved a lot this year, and can see that he is starting to develop his own style on how to fish - can see it on the video. Just to show, you can never get kids started too early. In the early days, I have to admit that its quite aggravating because you have to cater to him when he's with you on an outing. Its not about you catching a fish but about him having fun. Luckily he's now totally independent, from taking fish off a hook to tying his own rigs, though I still dont trust him totally on this. The best part about him like to go fishing is that I can use it to keep him out of trouble. He gets to go with me as long as he keeps on getting A's and not get his name taken at school.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good stuff What he said :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

"Don't put it on my feet"....them spines hurt! :smt005

Great stuff
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Good pics and video, looks like yall done pretty darn good :thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:o Dang Breambuster I need to follow you one day at Keaton and get you to show me how to fish. How did you rig for the sheeps? You have Keaton down pat. :-D Awesome catch! :thumbup:
Sea Spot

Post by Sea Spot »

Another great report Breambuster,Way to Go Calvin.
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Move over Bill Dance! It's Calvin-vision! That boy's a natural.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Video of Calvin is awesome! I have a 3 year old and cannot wait to get him on the fish! ( he's got the casting part down... but gets distracted when fish is on---)
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Hit-n-Miss wrote::o Dang Breambuster I need to follow you one day at Keaton and get you to show me how to fish. How did you rig for the sheeps? You have Keaton down pat. :-D Awesome catch! :thumbup:
I use 10lb braided line as the main line tie to a swivel with a sliding 1/4 or 1/2 oz weight (depending on the current), and on the other end, a 6 inch of 20lb Seagur flurocarbon leader tie to a 2/0 SSW Owner hook. Dave and Calvin were using live shrimp and caught bigger fish than me using the frozen imported stuff. One of the main trick is not to use a long leader as sheephead dont run off with your bait like most other fish. Hence, most people with a long leader often do not feel the bite and credit them with being a master bait stealer but in reality they're not rigging the right way to target them. You often only feel a light "tap" "tap" when they hit, almost as light as a little pinfish. Dont discount those nibbles as that's how they eat. I usually slowly lift my rod up about a foot or so when I feel a nibble regardless of how light it is and if you feel any weight at all, set the hook hard! Watch the video of Calvin and you will see him lifting the rod off the bottom to feel the fish before he sets the hook. You will missed a lot of hookset but once in a while, you'll connect. And when you do, be sure to hang on to your rod. Hope this helps!