Rod Balance

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redphisher

Rod Balance

Post by Redphisher »

One of my favorite combos for Trout and Reds for that matter is a Med weight, fast action 7' Shimano Calrus rod matched with a Shimano Saros 2500, filled with 10 braid. I was fishing the other day and I noticed the balance point on this combo was slightly off of the reel point. I'll get to the question... does anyone else try to make their rods balance at the reel (I know they sell weights you can add to the butt, never used them). This is a light combo over all and I can throw it all day with no fatigue. I saw an interesting segment on "Hunt For Big Fish" a few weeks back and the host was talking about this very thing. I doubt I'll change this rig but I was curious what others thought. The picture shows the balance point.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Rod Balance

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Rod balance is all in what is comfortable to you while using a certain tactic.
I like a rod that is rather tip heavey for top water plugs but jerkbaits and suspending bauts I like a little more neutral feel. That's just me, you may want or be more comfortable with a totally different set up.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Whatever catches fish for you is what is right for you. Sometimes TMI is TMI.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

Your rod is balanced exactly where it should be Any good quality off the shelf combo will be balanecd at the same point.... if it was weighted further back towards the reel, the rod length weight would create more torque on your elbow and wrist. Remember this also...that balance point is the fulcrum point and the point where you're balanced at is the strongest part of the rod, and that is what you use to fight the fish... not the reel....so in my opinion your balance point is perfect.. if you want your rod torque to be a little less, making your rod feel a little lighter, you could add some small weights to your butt cap, a neat trick I use snook fishing on my heavier rods. Good luck to you!
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Agreed. I actually hold my spinners on the foregrip. I find it takes some of the pressure off my forearm and wrist.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

The strongest part of a rod blank is actually the butt end as you'll find it very difficult to bend the butt of just about any blank.
If you're really interested in reducing torque, take all of those big guides off and replace them with smaller, lighter guides. The rod will probably perform better (cast further and react faster) and lighten the load of casting it all day.
But again, it's whatever you are comfortable with.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"