The Ulitmate Boating Predicament

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CrispyFishin

The Ulitmate Boating Predicament

Post by CrispyFishin »

Alright fellas, I need someone with a lot more years and wisdom than I have to help me out.

3 years ago, my dad bought a brand new boat (17' center console bay boat). For the last 3 years, I have had it most of the time, and through much toil and labor, and capital investment, have kept it looking like the day we bought it.

My little brother recently moved to Tampa, and would like his rightful turn at having the boat, and I can't blaim him.

Problem is, Dad and little brother don't have a clue about the demands of boat upkeep (but they think they know everything they need to know).

Bigger problem is, little brother doesn't have a tow vehicle for the boat (he has a hyundai). He has deeded indirect access to a 70 acre lake with a dirt ramp that would require a 4WD in residential Tampa. With that in mind, little brother and Dad see NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with leaving this fiberglass boat beached in the sand or tied to a brand new friend's dock for a week or two at a time. He will depend on friends with 4WDs to pull it out from time to time.
:smt009

Dad and little brother swear they will pay for any incurred damage, but they don't get the concept of depreciation due to neglect.

I have designed my family vacation time at the end of July with boat use in mind. Dad will be there, too. Naturally, I want the boat to be in prime condition, the way it is now.

Should I:

1. Bite my tongue out of respect for my Dad (and his rightful property) and let the boat meet its demise?
2. Offer to buy the boat from Dad so it is my property that I can protect?
3. Try to have mutual friends explain the hazards of improper boat storage and maintenance since I can't get my point across?
4. Do something totally different?

I'm trying to avoid a family meltdown over a material possession, while trying to hedge against losing an investment of my personal time and money. HELP!!
Work 'em silly Gators!!
Good Times

Re: The Ulitmate Boating Predicament

Post by Good Times »

My two cents...

I know where you are coming from. I would say that if it's your Dad's boat, let him do what he wants to with it. Consider the time and expense you've put into the boat payment for the use of the boat so far. The boat may get messed up (sounds like it will), but eventually your Dad will see that and realize that is not the best option. I know how you feel and have been there with the same type of situation. The bigger issue is your relationship with your Dad and brother. If you hang onto it then resentment will set in and things will get bad. The boat isn't worth it. I'm betting that your Dad bought that boat for "his boys to enjoy" and is excited about your brother having a turn with the boat. Just a thought from a guy who's been there and done that. It's your Dad's boat, let him have the freedom to let your brother use it. You don't want them to think that you think you own it. Trust me. As far as the vacation, that may be one thing you could ask for and work out.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

I would start with option #2. Offer to buy the boat. :thumbup: If dad wont sell boat, disable boat so that it wont run. This way little brother will either show initiative to have boat fixed and prove he will take care of it, or avoid borrowing a disabled boat. If all the above fails, refer to option #1. :smt010 Good luck man. Sounds like a sticky situation.
Last edited by Flanders on May 8th, 2009, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

It IS your dad's boat and therefore, his to treat as he pleases :smt012 You have had free use of a boat for 3 years "you would have had to do the maintenance AND payed on a loan otherwise" I have been through this "possession" thing with my family already and I can tell ya IT AINT WORTH THE HARD FEELINGS!!!!!!! They may just have to learn the hard way about upkeep, and in the process gain a greater respect for your knowledge and dedication to the upkeep of the boat :thumbup: Do what you can to help em out and use it when you can :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Why does he need that big of a boat for a 70 acre lake? You cant even get it to plane out. Your brother needs a jon boat or a canoe. :thumbup: Buy him one and keep that center console on bigger water. :beer: :beer: That aint no predicament Cuz, sounds like you need your own boat.
GEAUX TIGERS!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

# 1
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Natureboy wrote:Why does he need that big of a boat for a 70 acre lake? You cant even get it to plane out. Your brother needs a jon boat or a canoe. :thumbup: Buy him one and keep that center console on bigger water. :beer: :beer: That aint no predicament Cuz, sounds like you need your own boat.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jon boat with seats & a trolling motor left beached no problem.

Glass boat beached left in water bad mojo for the boat.

Fighting over stuff that aint yours worse mojo for family. salute3
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
MHI

Post by MHI »

give you brother the boat. you go boat shoping for you a boat and every one wins. ther are some good deals on boats out there wright now, take advantage of the market.
creech

Post by creech »

If you really like the boat that much I would say use both options #2 & #3.
Natureboy wrote:Why does he need that big of a boat for a 70 acre lake? You cant even get it to plane out.
If the boat want plane out in 70 acres of water I'd let my brother have it. just my .02

Good luck! :thumbup:
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

#1, it is HIS boat to begin with and like MHI said go get yourself a boat. I am sure after 3 years there is something that you dont like about the boat that you could get done on YOUR boat :thumbup: :beer:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
DriftingSun

Post by DriftingSun »

Show them this thread :-D
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

DriftingSun wrote:Show them this thread :-D
:lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

creech wrote:If you really like the boat that much I would say use both options #2 & #3.
Natureboy wrote:Why does he need that big of a boat for a 70 acre lake? You cant even get it to plane out.
If the boat want plane out in 70 acres of water I'd let my brother have it. just my .02

Good luck! :thumbup:
Iam just saying that a 70acre lake does not need a big boat. It will plane out but you cant go far.
GEAUX TIGERS!
fishbonez

Post by fishbonez »

I gotta go with #1, painful as it may be to see the boat fall into disrepair. If you totally can't stand it, #2 then #1
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

#1 go buy you a bay boat ...But never say I told you so ....your dad always knows more than you !!!
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><