Bald Point 5/16/2009

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TheBeerGuy

Bald Point 5/16/2009

Post by TheBeerGuy »

Today was an unusual day.. two FSU students were awake by 7am. The boat is still having issues but the itch to fish was still running strong so we headed to bald point.
There the oyster bars claimed two of my favorite spoons R.I.P. so I decided to just let the poles sit and maybe pick something up off the bottom. After netting a few finger mullet, glass minnows, mudd minnows, and some crab we sat and waited. Some live shrimp produced the short red caught by my roomate phil, a mullet lured a small black tip, but the big show came from the crab. One of the biggest fish I have seen caught from shore and by far the biggest I have had the honor of fighting decided to have a tasty crab for lunch. The giant black drum put up a hell of a fight on the lightest tackle I had for the day and made for some great pictures. The experience was great and the crowd on the beach including a bunch of kids loved it. The roommate and myself laughing like little school girls may be cause for the crowd.. Either way it was great day of fishing even without the "Poontooner" (our pontoon boat).

Need draft equipment, home brew supplies, craft/micro brews, or even a kegerator? Check us out http://www.beertoyou.com or 850-386-BEER(2337)
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Bald Point 5/16/2009

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

NICE REPORT, THAT IS PROBABLY THE LARGEST FISH SOME OF THOSE KIDS HAVE EVER SEEN.
PA :smt006 salute2 salute3
FUTCHCAIRO
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Dayam, maybe y'all need ta just leave the poon broken :-D I bet that was a hoot :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

A dang nice'un! Sho' made it worth while.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
flatsfan

Post by flatsfan »

Dude, nice job! Were you wading very far out or were you just chillin' on the beach chairs when you hooked up with him? I've fished there several times and never caught anything with much size to it, much less a monster like that.
TheBeerGuy

Post by TheBeerGuy »

Thanks guys. It was definitely exiting! I was on the beach in an FSU folding chair when the rod threatened to go skiing across the water. I don't think I have moved that fast in a long time! So no wading just waiting.. I would walk to about waist deep to cast and targeted an area between the sand bar and an oyster bed. This was my first report I have made or been a part of aside from "mothers day yakin" so I am happy to get some good feedback.
Need draft equipment, home brew supplies, craft/micro brews, or even a kegerator? Check us out http://www.beertoyou.com or 850-386-BEER(2337)
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Great fish guys :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Yep, That fish is a hawg. I never caught a drum that big, I bet he pulled good!
Yours in the South
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Can't beat that :thumbup:

P.S. Welcome :smt023
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
2true

Post by 2true »

Nice Drum. How did you hook the crab? Was it still alive?
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I was SUPPOSED to go, but chose to enjoy my "extra-curricular" activities the night before a little too much :lol: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I got the text w/ the picture and didn't believe it at first, but *&%@(*&$^@#4 that's a biggun!

Great job guys, next time knock on my door lol :sleep: :sleep:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Pretty darn good first report :thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
TheBeerGuy

Post by TheBeerGuy »

I dont know how to respond to some things with the comment I am responding to right above... but in reply to it pulling hard: There is no describing it, I think it would feel like reeling in galantnole if he was on the end of my line. The fact that is is my smallest rod reel combo only made my forearm burn more :-D

The crab was alive and I put a circle hook in the corner of his shell so he was still able to swim and or crawl around a bit... :smt004