Gas in Bilge

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Gas in Bilge

Post by captkeyser »

:smt009 Over the past couple of weeks have have noticed a slight odor of gas when opening rod lockers and other compartments in my boat. I have limited access to the gas tank and hoses as the tank is under the floor in my 201 Back Country. There is an access point in front of the center console and I can see the top of the fuel tank and a hose that clamps on to the top of it. The hose looks pretty warn and rubber comes off on your fingers when touched.

Went fishing on Saturday and hit the bilge pump after taking a bit of water over the stern.... about a gallon of fuel came out. We immediatley took the boat out of the water and it is now at the shop. Any insight to what the problem might be would be a great help. What is the likely hood that there is a leak in the tank (It is Aluminum). Seems to me that this would be the least likely problem.

Thanks,
Eric
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: Gas in Bilge

Post by captkeyser »

Would insurance cover a leaky gas tank???????
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Your hoses are rotten. Shouldn't be a big deal. I doubt that tank has a hole in it.
GEAUX TIGERS!
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Chances are your tank is foamed in so I doubt you would see any gas from a hole in the tank. The gasket from the sending unit may be not sealing or your fuel fill hose could have a crack in it. Had the boat been sitting or had you filled it up that day?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

captkeyser wrote:Would insurance cover a leaky gas tank???????
:smt009
GEAUX TIGERS!
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

The boat sat for months under the previous owner. I bought it a little over 2mths ago and it has been used every weekend since. I filled it up on Friday night.. noticed the problem on Saturday. Man I really hope you guys are right.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

On my old Back Country there was service hatches to gain access to the sending unit and fill hose. If the tank is leaking you have two choices - saw or removing the cap - if it is like my old boat.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Chalk, did the tank have a leak on your old BC????? Say no, say no, say no.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

No leak
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Check your fuel/water separator. I had one rust to the point of leaking.
What was I supposed to do today?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Are you sure you put the gas hose in the right place when you filled up?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Are you sure you put the gas hose in the right place when you filled up?

:roll:
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Is the tank slow to fill at the gas pump? I had a Sea Pro that had a crimp in the filler hose. Eventually, the corner of the crimped hose rubbing on the boat hull caused a leak that would only spill fuel when filling.

I would replace your filler hose first, then have the tank checked if that doesn't cure the problem.

JT's question above is not a dumb question - you wouldn't believe how many folks I've seen shove a gas hose in a rod holder right next to the filler cap and pump the bilge full. One guy pumped 80 gallons into the bilge of a cabin cruiser at Sea Gull Marina in Englewood, Fl.

Be sure you get it fixed, and Good Luck!
Steve Stinson
Salt Life
Location: I come from where the river meets the sea Live Oak Island

Post by Salt Life »

captkeyser wrote:Are you sure you put the gas hose in the right place when you filled up?

:roll:
Hey, I know a guy who put 50, yes 50 gallons of fuel in his rod holder :lol: Funny thing is that his boat WAS a polar.......... Wont , didnt or ever hold 50 gallons in that 30 gallon or so fuel tank ........ "Heres your Sign" :cry:

He had to call the fire dept and hazmat was called in. Both batteries were covered over with gas. Boat had to be distroyed.
He didnt have insurance..... Not that would have mattered. I am sure there is a dumb ass clause in every policy for sure.
BE GOOD AND FISH OFTEN
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Just thought I'd give an update. Ended up having Mikes Marine Ways gut the tank and replace as. They did an absolutely amazing job. Picked it up last weekend and had my fingers crossed the whole way down. Was amazed at the work they did.

If anybody needs fiberglass work down, I STRONGLY recommend Mikes Marine Ways. JUst good people! :thumbup: :thumbup: