Gas Tank Removal

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Gas Tank Removal

Post by captkeyser »

:smt010 Well looks like I have to remove the 32 gallon fuel tank in my newly bought boat. When constructed the aluminum gas tank was foamed in and now has coroded. There are tiny divits throughout the tank and tiny pinholes have formed do to moisture and salt resting against the unprotected tank. Was hoping that is was a leak in the sending unit...... but this is unfortunately not the case.

I have had two boat mechanics look at it and they both concluded that the tank needs to be removed. I have the boat at Mikes Marine Ways in St. Marks as I have been told my numerous sources that he is the guy to do the work. After inspection I have been told by Mike that this is going to be an extremely costly ordeal. This isn't a normal cut the deck and remove the tank situation as the tank runs up underneath the storage compartment on bow of the boat. He sees no other way to remove it but to cut through that compartment which is why he is saying the cost is going to be extremely rediculous. He actually said that he feels for me. :smt011

I am trying to come up with alternative (cut corners) options to get the cost down. I was wondering if it would be possible to cut the deck to the point where it meets the compartment where the bow deck starts. Then cut through the cas tank, remove as much of the tank as possible and just foam in the remaining portion, ultimately leaving it in the bow of the boat. Then have a custom (smaller) tank built that will either sit where the removed portion used to sit.

I am really in a bind here as I don't have the money to pay for the complete removal of the existing tank (Thousands of dollars). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have done pretty extensive research on situations like this and can't believe that boat manufacturers are still foaming in aluminum tanks without first covering the aluminum tank with a protective coat. Spoke to Lake and Bay boats and was told that the aluminum tanks have about a 10yr life span.... I am on year number 12. This should never have to happen.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Gas Tank Removal

Post by wevans »

My first thought is to cut the top off of the old tank "should be done by someone who knows how to keep it from exploding" and put a plastic tank inside the old tank and foam it in :-D I say plastic due to the use of ethonal and plastic is the only tank that don't break down with ethonal :thumbup: and leaving the old tank in place should save a bunch of money on the repair :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I would at least take a shot at contacting the boat manufacter and asking for some guidance. In addition, try to establish a relationship with some tech support there for any questions that come along....cause they will.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

WOW, that sucks Eric. I don't have any cost cutting suggestions for you, but I hope you find one that gets you back up an running.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
flatpicker
Site Sponsor

Post by flatpicker »

Captkeyser, Another solution would be to do the work yourself. I have been restoring my boat for last year (it could've been done in a few months), and have enjoyed every minute of it. The only thing I had to restore structurally however, was the transom, and I had no idea where to begin. Someone turned me on to Bateau2.com, and with a bunch of reading and many questions, I had it repaired in no time. I don't know if you are willing to put off even more time on the water, but it will certainly save you some money, and hopefully give you some satisfaction. You will also know that the work is done to your own satisfaction. The guys at Eboat/Bateau2.com are awesome and will walk you through the whole process. They also sell all of the products you will need. Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you decide.
A bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down, and won!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That really stinks Eric. :thumbdown: I hate to hear you are going through that, I was hoping it would just be a bad hose.
Team Jolly Mon
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

This would certainly be only a temporary measure, but you could set up a 6 gal portable (or larger) with the correct connection and use while your getting comfortable with how you are going to deal with the problem. I would question whether you really need 32 gal range. At least you would still be able to do some fishing while your figuring out the best approach. Make sure you empty the problem tank and keep the fumes eliminated. I'd also give some thought to ....are the pin holes due to salt or electrolysis? If you've got electrolysisgoing on, you need to eliminate that if your going to replace the tank with aluminum again and you may see some evidence in other places as well. We all wish you well in working through this problem.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

That really sucks Eric. Having a pulled a foamed in tank before I can tell you it sucks even when you have a hatch to take it out from.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Sorry for your problem.
I think Wevans has a good idea here.
You could leave it as is and put a portable tank under the console.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FMI

Post by FMI »

If you do go the route of having a new Alum tank installed I would call Ezell Industries in Perry. Phone number is 578-2558. They build IMO the best quality tanks. Danny uses heaver gauge than most of the other tank shops and stands behind his products. They will also blast and coat them from the factory which is worth the added cost. He is not the cheapest but I don't think you can find any better.
GULP! free since 83' ;)
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF IT WERE ME I WOULD DO LIKE BUD SAID. DRAIN THE TANK YOU HAVE, SET A SMALL FAN BLOWING ON THE OPENING UNTIL ALL THE FUMES ARE GONE. BUY A 12 GAL. PORTABLE AND SHOVE IT UP UNDER THE OLD TANK FILL IT UP AND HEAD TO THE FLATS, IT WILL WORK JUST FINE. I HAVE DONE THIS ON A 22 FT. AQUASPORT AND IT WORKED GREAT. JUST MY .02 CENTS.
PA :smt006 salute2 salute3
FUTCHCAIRO
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

You don't know how much I appreciate all the insight. :thumbup: :thumbup: After quite a bit of research I think that I may have come up with a solution. Sure there are a few pros and cons but I think this is the best option. THere is a very large storage compartment in the bow of the boat. I keep tackle, Rain Jackets and other ins and odds, however there is plenty of other storage in the boat. I can support the bottom (space between hull compartment bottom) with foam for extra support and place a new tank in. I will have the tank coverd with a protective material and then foam it into the storage area.

I can then glass in a floor above the tank and still have some storage area. This ideas requires very limited cutting and only adds an additional 16gallons (roughly 140lbs) of weight to the bow of the aboat (boat is stern heavy anyways, could help balance out) as half the tank was already under the storage compartment. Of course I would like to have the tank completely removed, but that is not an option.

Still contemplating all ideas. So please keep sending them. :smt006 Thanks again.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

This post got me thinking. Someone needs to come up with a collapsable bladder to fit inside tanks. That way you would not have to pull out the old tanks. They do it on water wells and they will take high preasure as well. Send me my royalty check when it hits the market
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Didn't Kramer on Seinfeld come up with that idea?

I think the problem you have with a bladder is there are baffles built into the tanks that would prevent it from spreading.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

No baffles in my tank, however, it is only a 15-16 gal tank.

VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image