Rural Internet Options???

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cmccord
Site Sponsor

Rural Internet Options???

Post by cmccord »

Living in the country is a wonderful thing. However, getting Internet service that is reliable and relatively fast is quite difficult. Does anyone have any experience with satellite service providers? If so, which ones, and was the experience good or bad? Any help that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. With no hope of DSL/Cable service in the near future, it is coming time to make some commitment to a service that is worthwhile but must maintain some cost conscious considerations along the way. Thanks for the help and suggestions any of you may be able to provide.
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Re: Rural Internet Options???

Post by Flanders »

I hear the huges net is good. Check it out.

http://www.hughesnet.com/
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

$70 for the slowest they got :smt103 I'd be calling the phone company every day till they give in before paying that much :smt072
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

Well how much rural can you get than the ancky river banks..I have high speed dsl from fairpoint and its great kinda slow at times but sure beats nothing
skeeter-eater

Post by skeeter-eater »

I have never had satellite, but i've heard it's pricey and not as fast as DSL or Cable internet. I would look into an "air card" from your local cell phone provider. The speed is comparable to a DSL connection and it is probably cheaper than satellite.....you just need to be sure that you house is in the coverage area of the carrier....if you don't have service, it wont work well at all.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Hughesnet may be good but certainly comes with pretty steep pricing options... you either get gouged up front on installation or agree to getting gouged over time with high initial subscription rates.

As a cautionary tale, I looked at Hughesnet for about a year after being told I couldn't get DSL out in the Lloyd/Wacissa area and that it would be many years in the future before available in our neck of the woods, this after calling to inquire on multiple occasions. Then mysteriously one day I see them doing utility work down 59 and without getting any sales literature think what the heck can't hurt to call and ask again... WAS available, got installed, and works great. This despite getting doom and gloom predictions from Embarq themselves that it would be 5 to 10 years at best.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I love my aircard. It is pretty fast and totally mobile. I use it like a GPS in my car sometimes.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Ain't deregulation great!!
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

big bend gyrene wrote:As a cautionary tale, I looked at Hughesnet for about a year after being told I couldn't get DSL out in the Lloyd/Wacissa area and that it would be many years in the future before available in our neck of the woods, this after calling to inquire on multiple occasions. Then mysteriously one day I see them doing utility work down 59 and without getting any sales literature think what the heck can't hurt to call and ask again... WAS available, got installed, and works great. This despite getting doom and gloom predictions from Embarq themselves that it would be 5 to 10 years at best.
I am certainly familiar with the Lloyd story. I fought with a few others to get it out there. Naturally, I moved all the way across the county just before they began installation. :smt012 I think I will have to press a little more to see what may come of it.
SHOWBOAT wrote:I love my aircard. It is pretty fast and totally mobile. I use it like a GPS in my car sometimes.
I had an aircard through Earthlink a few years ago and it was ok, but if service was the least bit sketchy, it was difficult to get satisfactory reception and often required going outside the house, even in the Lloyd area. The totally mobile part is definitely a big plus, but cellular reception at home is sketchy at best. :smt017
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

if you will im me your telephone number i will tellyou in a min or two if and when you can get embarq dsl....it's what i do every day.
Pirate Girl
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I use a verizon plugin at Anky and the more overcast the better the service. Worst service is on a beautiful day.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I can't vouch for the BigBend region, but during my "life" in rural Mississippi and the mountains of Tennessee and many different trials with different providers, the "air-cards" that were mentioned are your best bet; especially for simple internet/web surfing.

Check into Verizon/Att
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CHECK OUT WINDSTREAM.NET
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Keep in mind all cell companies have put a 5 gigabyte monthly cap on the wireless cards.. For a heavy user you will simply use this up in a week or so. I download alot and use my internet alot and have used over 800gb in a month on comcast(streaming dvds from netflix).If you like to download music/dvd's and watch alot of streaming video then you may want to consider something else. I work for AT&T and have a wireless card and I've gone over the 5gb cap in 7 days.. Also most companies have what they call 3G service which is high speed internet and most companies only have it for the city limits so when you go out to the coast your internet will be about 10x slower(dial up slow). Aircards are good for light web browsing and email or for occasional use. I just wanted to inform anyone to ask questions before you jump into a 2 year contract..
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

For what it is worth, I have never had a customer that was satisfied with satellite internet. They always got rid of it, even if there was nothing else. It just is not a reliable service.

Now satellite TV on the other hand, That is the stuff !

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.