St. Marks Thu and Fri

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sundown
Site Sponsor

St. Marks Thu and Fri

Post by sundown »

Got down on Wed afternoon and ran out to look at water..Windy and grass everywhere..lot of scalloping going on...Ran over to Palmetto Is to try to get out of the wind and picked up two small reds but that was it...

Thurs got an early start and ran east of Gray Mare and in close to shore and fished topwaters for awhile ..grass and wind made it impossible..did get a couple rises and that was it..Then out to Peters rock area and started fishing straight jigs..wind and grass was still tough.. did manage to pick up several trout from 18" down..nothing to write home about...
About 9:30 did have the biggest bull shark I ever saw come right up beside the boat. In fact, the largest shark I ever saw period. My boat is 20' and I swear he was at least half that long. few minutes later some guy came on radio and wanted to know if anybody was scalloping outside black rock and if they were finding any. Told him I was sticking with fishing.
Yesterday, Fri we were out early and went to a creek mouth that usually pays off...Nothing till probably 10 then went up in creek, plenty of water and got on the fish..found some trout..two 23" and several 18 and 19's . measuring em to make sure didnt have any over upper slot..This don't happen to me too often ! All on spoons along with some nice reds up to 25".did have one much larger red get under the boat and break me off..anybody catch one with a pink CM hanging out of his mouth that him !
Around 1 storm started making up so we put up top and rode it out..Tide started out hard and fishing slacked..Did finish up a limit of trout..
Yesterday was a pretty good day.. If I'd had a place to stay I'd probably fished today. Anyhow try it again next week...

:P :P
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks Thu and Fri

Post by rammerjammer »

SHARK!!! why did u have to tell us about the B Shark, I've been skittish anyway, been catching quite a few Black Tips around Econfina lately>>>Be Careful everyone>>>>Happy 4th OF JULY
Outdoorsnole

Post by Outdoorsnole »

I was flounder gigging last night and had one about 6-7 ft. come check the boat out in about 2 ft. of water. I bet if some people knew what was around when they were scalloping it would make launching on the weekends much nicer!!! :)
bull68dawg

Post by bull68dawg »

We hooked one wednesday that went 6 feet about 350 yards away from some scallopers.. My buddy is convinced he isnt scalloping again :(
"How do you like them apples"

UGA Grad 04 GO DAWGS!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I'm more than half convinced that the practice of shucking while catching is a bad idea. :o
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.