update on grouper story

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pcbayou
Site Sponsor

update on grouper story

Post by pcbayou »

ST. GEORGE ISLAND — Florida wildlife officials are looking into whether there is something fishy about a record-sized grouper caught late last month off St. George Island.

Was it a permissible Warsaw grouper, worthy of bragging rights, or a protected goliath grouper, deserving of a misdemeanor citation, or even a federal charge?

http://www.newsherald.com/news/possible ... robes.html

(earlier story):

Four men fishing out of Bay City Lodge the morning of June 25 landed a leviathan-size Warsaw grouper that arguably eclipsed the world record of 436 pounds, 12 ounces, set by Capt. Steve Haeusler, fishing out of Destin on Dec. 22, 1985.

http://www.newsherald.com/sports/daniel ... -city.html
Last edited by pcbayou on July 16th, 2009, 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What a mess

Re: y'all seen this grouper story?

Post by What a mess »

Read it yesterday pretty cool!
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
bull68dawg

Post by bull68dawg »

Awesome fish... I cant believe they didnt want to take the time to weigh it.
"How do you like them apples"

UGA Grad 04 GO DAWGS!
Reel Navy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Navy »

Today's Ft Walton Beach "mullet wrapper" stated they harvested six, five gallon buckets worth of fillets which were vacuum packed. That's a lot of Court-bouillon and grouper sandwiches!
Dear Lord, please let me be the kind of person my dog thought I was .....
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I have to wonder if the meat from a fish that big and old would be as good as a smaller fish. Kinda like deer meat. Young ones are much tastier in my opinion. Same for trout. the 16-18 inchers taste better to me than the 25 inchers.

But I bet it was fun to catch.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Redphisher

Post by Redphisher »

I am with you Dubble Trubble. It would have been nice to see that fish released to live a longer life...
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

A fish that size would have to have layers of fats running through the fillets.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Re: update on grouper story

Post by pcbayou »

bump
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I have studied the photos, and I still say Warsaw. I will also restate that I think you have to carry a lawyer with you when you fish nowadays.

While I would have released the fish, these guys are well within their rights to harvest it in my opinion. Of course, the FWC and the Feds will use any excuse to try to get in the news. Where were they when the fish was being fileted. I am sure the news was everywhere. Now all of a sudden, they want a piece of the action.

Typical gubment...... :smt011

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I call BS, dang sure looks like a Warsaw to me. Then again, I ain't got a ticket book in my pocket.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If they would have just spread the dorsal fin out in the picture there would have been no doubt.

Here is a confirmed warsaw picture...

Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Someone who knew that may have Tom :o and that is why they decided ta clean it and dispose of the carcass so quickly :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Dubble Trubble wrote:I have studied the photos, and I still say Warsaw. I will also restate that I think you have to carry a lawyer with you when you fish nowadays.

While I would have released the fish, these guys are well within their rights to harvest it in my opinion. Of course, the FWC and the Feds will use any excuse to try to get in the news. Where were they when the fish was being fileted. I am sure the news was everywhere. Now all of a sudden, they want a piece of the action.

Typical gubment...... :smt011

I say Jewfish. And, IMO and according to the rule, those guys were only well within their rights to harvest it if it was a Warsaw. Plenty of folks have caught large Jewfish since the harvest ban and let them go, and spearfishermen could take them most any trip on structure, but they don't. Since there are so few officers around, why would you expect them to be at a local fillet table, unless they were called? Kind of like robbing a bank, if the cops aren't around, does that make it right?

FWC and the feds are interested because it probably is a Jewfish, not a Warsaw, and that would be illegal. If it was a Warsaw, they will confirm that, and the guys caught a great record fish.

EJ