Carrabelle 07-25-09

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Carrabelle 07-25-09

Post by Atticus »

Ran West and setup on a flat I had never fished before near a point. I had just looked at it on the chart Friday night and it looked right so we ran over there. I was worried we were going to get skunked today. The wind was slick calm and the water was like a farm pond. No drift whatsoever. My partner and I were catching 16" trout on topwater and soft plastic jerk baits in about 4' of water. Noticed some mullet and some activity shallower so we started inching over with the Minn Kota. We get into about 2' of water with about 1' of grass on the bottom and my partner puts a nice 26" red in the boat with his Skitterwalk.

He has another redfish come off the hook after burying himself in the grass a few casts later. He is throwing a trout pattern Skitterwalk and I, after seeing him catch those reds, have started throwing an orange one. I put two 18" trout in the boat and he bags another mid-slot red. He has the hot hand with the redfish at this point and I have four trout: 16, 16, 18, 18.

We actually had a little bit of a drift going on the 'farm pond' by then and we started moving towards the point naturally. A big cloud had covered the morning sun making the light look right for topwater much later than usual.

Then my Skitterwalk gets slammed by what I think is a mid-slot redfish. Fight him all the way to the boat thinking its a 22" red and didn't know until the last second that it was a nice fat 24" trout.

My partner then had a fish absloutely SLAM his Skitterwalk. We thought it was going to be a blacktip but it turned out to be a nice little aggressive redfish.

The very next cast I can uncork with the orange Skitterwalk into the same hole yeilds a 21" trout.

We fished that hole out with the aid of the Power Pole and then started our very slow drift again just fan casting with the topwater plugs. It was almost 11AM at this point but the cloud cover was right and the results couldn't be argued with. I had a beautiful "V" shaped wake behind my orange Skitterwalk and I couldn't get a strike. The wake was so big my partner noticed it and stopped fishing to watch. I finally, out of desperation, just stopped the plug and let it sit there. A big boil was followed by the sound of Ande 12 singing through the eyelets. This decent redfish put up a hell of a fight.

By this time the sky to the West and North looked ominous. We checked the weather radar on the smartphones and hauled it back to Carrabelle to preserve life and limb. Left them biting which is a shame.

All real damage was done with the two Skitterwalks - trout pattern and orange. Only caught a couple 16" trout on white Exudes. Water was about 82* when we showed up. We started fishing at about 7:45 and headed to the hill around 11:15. Falling tide the whole time. Float grass wasn't that bad. Think I saw a BBF member's boat out there in the same neighborhood. Well see if he reports. :-D
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: Carrabelle 07-25-09

Post by birddog »

Great report, Atticus. :beer: :beer:
GULP! free since 1970.
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Nice day for sure.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Suweet day!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

There goes another one of my holes shot to hell.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

Great day, Luke! I fished a similar-sounding area today...did you see the Hog out there?

We had a dang good day as well...I'll post the report and pics tomorrow. If it was me that you saw, that area is pretty freaking awesome. We caught big reds, trout (biggest was 26.5"), flounder, hooked a tarpon on a spook and caught three 10+ lb jacks that were in with the tarpon (and only a few hundred yards offshore)...
Boom goes the dynamite.
bman

Post by bman »

Great day!! Got to love the topwater bite!!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Ok, great day! Now, ...where was that point exactly? Could you link a chart for us with it pinpointed?

I really don't believe that is one of JT51's holes...
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

Nice!! :thumbup:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Nice job Luke. Thanks for checking on me today.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Dang nice fish dude!
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

caseycook wrote:Great day, Luke! I fished a similar-sounding area today...did you see the Hog out there?

We had a dang good day as well...I'll post the report and pics tomorrow. If it was me that you saw, that area is pretty freaking awesome. We caught big reds, trout (biggest was 26.5"), flounder, hooked a tarpon on a spook and caught three 10+ lb jacks that were in with the tarpon (and only a few hundred yards offshore)...
It was the Hog for sure. :thumbup: :thumbup: I didn't realize it was you until you guys idled out to run from that storm. Saw the lettering when you were on the way out.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Thanks for the report and the pics.............. Great day !!! :thumbup:
skeeter-eater

Post by skeeter-eater »

Had a heck of a time brother!!! Can't wait to do it again. A little bit of hard work pays off every now and then. You just keep putting me on the fish and I'll strong arm em all day long. Call me tommorow let me know how you do.....
carramar
Site Sponsor

Post by carramar »

Great day of catching! :smt038 I sure wish you'd taken those pictures facing the other way. :smt009 Then I'd know where to catch some nice redfish. :smt005