Carrabelle 7.25-26

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

caseycook

Carrabelle 7.25-26

Post by caseycook »

Saturday 7/25
Friday after work I loaded up the boat and headed down to the coast to stay at a buddy’s beach house. After staying up pretty late drinking bluegills, 5:30 a.m. Saturday morning came pretty quick. Jon Boat and I launched and rode to spot #1 in darkness. Seeing as how the depth recorder isn’t working on my boat, we eased in to the area we wanted to fish and did the whole “use the rod as our depth recorder” thing. I dropped the trolling motor and eased towards some structure and made my first cast. On the fourth twitch, the plug went off and I hooked up with something. I thought it might be a catfish and so I told him we didn’t need to net the thing…it was still too dark to see, but when we got it up to the boat it looked to be a decent trout. Wader ended up netting it and then said to me, “Damn that’s a big trout”. Threw it on the Golden Rule and she went 26.5”. Not a bad start.
We continue working our way to shore throwing topwater plugs with mullet jumping everywhere and Wade sticks a couple good, upper-slot fish that go in the box. We also had a few reds blowup on the plugs, but none that stuck. We decide to move about a mile down to some spotty looking bottom in two feet of water. After five casts, Wade asks, “Dude, are you sure there’s fish here?” Three twitches later and a bomb goes off on my plug and I hook up. Wade casts his plug out, makes a couple twitches and his explodes. To quote Sir Mix-A-Lot, “Umph, double up, Umph Umph.” We get both the fish in and they’re perfect tournament reds – over 26” and fat. We continue fishing and catch a handful of nice reds.
At about 9:30, we saw some baitfish getting crushed by tarpon about 500 yards from where we were. I put the trolling motor on high and headed that way. We get to where we’d seen them last and a huge wake pops up within casting distance off the bow of the boat. I sling the spook out and the wake turns toward my spook…twitch twitch twitch twitch. The wake stops at my plug, there’s about a 2 second pause and then boom goes the dynamite. The fish immediately rips off about 50 yards of drag and so we decide to chase with the boat. I fight the fish for about 10 minutes, but it’s staying down deep. I’m not an expert, but I’m beginning to think a tarpon would’ve jumped by now. A few more minutes and I catch a glimpse of a huge jack. I fight it for probably twenty minutes and then give it a little CPR.
After we get the Jack back in the water, Wade works his Bite-a-Bait past a wake and his plug gets crushed. The fish immediately rips off 50 or 60 yards of line, but stays on the surface…we get a visual of a tarpon right as his line breaks. We stayed in the area and caught a few more big Jacks, but got no more love from “LDS”.

Around 11 a.m. the sky started looking a little sketchy and so we pulled up the radar on the Crackberry and it wasn’t looking good. We decided to head back in it turned out to be a good decision as we made it in to the ramp in the nick of time...a nice little Saturday of fishing.

Sunday 7/26

July Team Seatrout: BB and I fished several of the same areas, but the conditions were almost completely opposite from the day before. We caught some trout and a couple good reds and came in 3rd with a little under 9 lbs. Jay and I had fun and will be back in August to do it again.

We caught all our fish shallow on Super Spooks and flukes over spotty bottom. Water temps stayed between 78-82 both days.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Fishman
Site Sponsor

Re: Carrabelle 7.25-26

Post by Fishman »

Good deal :thumbup:
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Sounds like a great Saturday of fishing and any weekend you get to fish two days in a row can't be beat, unless you get to stay and go on Monday too. :thumbup: :thumbup: to some nice reds, trout, jacks and a glance at a poon.
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

nice report CC; that trout is a pig. JT's fish haven't had sore mouths like that in a while...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Geat report Casey. Those jacks get a bad rep but they are a blast on trout tackle.

Two bogas on the boat too... impressive.
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Looks like you had a good day!! I past you on the bridge around lunch time, then about 45 min later while you were eating lunch. :thumbup: ;-)
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Thanks for the report Casey. I sure would like to hook up with you some day and fish some of J.T.'s holes .........It would be fun :thumbup: :thumbup:
TheBeerGuy

Post by TheBeerGuy »

Nice report, nice trout, and lastly thank you for the mixalot reference! You just made my day... :lol:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Great pics CC.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Very nice. Thanks for the pm of JT's numbers. I can't wait for this weekend.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I wish to hell Casey would take a day off so that I could fish some of my holes again. Between him,BB and CT, I may as well do what I have been doing. Sit at home and wish nobody was fishing my holes.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

nice report!!! I got a catch one of dem jacks
mojokoko

Post by mojokoko »

Damn Casey, when are you going to post pics of you actually catching big Trout?

Well Done.
:beer:
Team Diehard -> Will Fish on an Inner-tube with a small craft advisory. Booyah
Proud member of the AKL
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Great day CC. :beer: :beer:
GULP! free since 1970.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Great report and better fishing CC, next time you post pics, turn around and show the shore line, it makes a nice background. :-D