Redfish???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gator_56

Redfish???

Post by Gator_56 »

I'm new to the area and was hoping to get a few suggestions. I went yesterday up here for the first time and had no luck (with reds). Back home(Cedar Key Area) we fish the creeks on out going tides but up here the water is much shallower than I am used to and not being familiar with the area I wasn't able to find any good holes. Does anyone have any suggestions that might offer? BTW we went out St. Marks at the light house.

Thanks in advance
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Redfish???

Post by wevans »

I like to work the Oyster bars with a top water lure when the water is over the bar and moving good, if that don't do it, I start working the grass line near shore. There are many others on here that target them more than I do "I generally have my one keeper in about 15 minutes and head off ta find some Trout" :-D :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

In the summer time, I work the grass on the outgoing tide and fish up to 20 yards off the grass lines. You would be shocked how many Reds are grazing in that zone. I fish out of a yak and get to watch them graze sometimes and its really awesome.
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

:stupid_1
Gator_56

Post by Gator_56 »

Everywhere I saw that 20 yards of the grass line was about 2 feet deep. Does it get any deeper the further south or east you go along the shore line?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I catch 99% of my Reds in 1 1/2 to 3 foot of water, so I aint no help there :smt009
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

You only need to search for the holes during low tide. Like wevans, I catch most of my reds in about 2 or 3 feet of water, whether the tide's incoming or outgoing. You'll do good to stick around the creeks or oysters, or, better yet, creeks with oysters in them. Around here, a "hole" may only be less than a foot deeper than the surronding water. Watch for mullet jumping, they are a tell tale sign that redfish are near. Good Luck.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I catch reds in less than 8 inches of water to 3 feet. After that they are hard to find. 4-7 feet is good for trout, but less than 3 feet is Redfish time.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Just be very carefull not to get in one of JT51's holes. He is a dangerous man. :oops: :oops:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Don't listen to them. Being a newbie, I will give you one redfish hole. Please do not venture out of it.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Gator_56

Post by Gator_56 »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Don't listen to them. Being a newbie, I will give you one redfish hole. Please do not venture out of it.

Sweet. I've got my pencil and paper ready....