Mash Sands 25

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

konrad

Mash Sands 25

Post by konrad »

It's been a few weeks since I have been able to get on the water so when Saturday rolled around I was more than willing to get an early start. My dad and I left the landing and headed out the mouth of the river just before sun rise. The seas were flat and the sky’s pretty clear and it was looking like it might be a good day, at least weather wise. On the way out we stopped on the shoal near buoy 26 to pick up some bait. Put two dozen in the live well and off we went. There was a few storms starting to build farther off shore and we knew the chance of rain would only increase as the day went on so I decided to stay somewhat close. We made our way out to some numbers in 50' of water a few miles north of the K tower. We had a little trouble anchoring due to the current going one way and the wind pushing us another but after the third try we got it right. Once we got in position we started to see fish chasing bait on the surface. I free lined out a dead sardine and then put a live pin on another rod and dropped it to the bottom. Before I could get my bait down the free line rig went off. It was a small King. A min passes and then I hook up on the bottom rod. Fought it for about 20 seconds before it broke me off in the rocks. This happened 4 times. The fifth time I was able to bring up 200lbs nurse shark. We did manage to catch 4 decent snapper in the 8-12lbs range plus 3 more kings. By this time I could see that the storms were starting to build near shore so I thought it was about time to start heading in. Stopped by one more place in 40' on the way in and bounced some buck tail jigs off the bottom. We picked up 2 gags and 2 reds but they were all an inch or two short. At that we decided to call it a day.
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Re: Mash Sands 25

Post by cmccord »

Glad you got a few for the frying pan and made it in safely. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs