Grass Clogging Intakes - Any Tips?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Grass Clogging Intakes - Any Tips?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Got an e-tec 90 and love it. It's good at alarming when clogged with grass, but I still would prefer not to heat up the engine if I can avoid it. Which brings me to the reason for posting.

Any tips on minimizing grass clogging the intakes? I've got a jack plate and can also trim-tilt the engine. I definitely have noticed that when grass is thick I tend to run a bit cleaner by running the motor 3 or 4 inches deeper than my shallowest setup. Haven't noticed quite as much difference with slight trim-tilt adjustments.

Any tips anyone can offer based on their own setups?

Also wonder if there are any hardware/accessories that can be added that can help move the grass past the intakes? At current when I do hear the engine clog (can hear a pitch change with the motor), I stop and bump it in reverse long enough to pull the grass off. Haven't had as much luck with swinging the engine from side to side w/steering wheel while running, though occasionally it works. Again, really just looking for ANY advise/tips the board members can offer.

Many thanks,
BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Re: Grass Clogging Intakes - Any Tips?

Post by Barhopr »

Don't run in the grass? :wink:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

It was stop and go all day Monday for me. I was east of the lighthouse...Plus grass was real bad in the river coming in. I stopped and reversed several times..Don't know anything else you can do about it.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The change in pitch from the motor is the grass making the prop cavitate, can't do much other than stop and reverse it to clear the grass :beer: I doubt that it is bad enough to make the motor run hot unless you just keep going "if it's cavitating, it's not getting the proper water flow niether" :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

sundown wrote:It was stop and go all day Monday for me. I was east of the lighthouse...Plus grass was real bad in the river coming in. I stopped and reversed several times..Don't know anything else you can do about it.

Shoulda got the tunnel SD. I tried to tell ya.
GULP! free since 1970.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Barhopr wrote:Don't run in the grass? :wink:
:stupid_1 :stupid_1
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
big bend gyrene

Problem is all of Jumptrout's spots are surrounded by grass :smt010
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
bman

Post by bman »

I keep thinking about this. It never happens to me....
Every once in a while I get some grass on the foot - but I hear the difference in sound/pitch and slow down to knock it off.

Now it never clogs the water line. I always see water coming out of the P-Hole... (Yes that is one of JT's Holes) :lol:

Do you get an over heat alarm? is water still circulating?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

B-man, I hear the pitch change 9 out of 10 times but every once in a while I miss it and it does alarm. And pretty sure even current direction must make a difference, as last trip out I had grass issues about 5 or 6 times running offshore and 0 times coming back in. And contrary to Barhopr and JT's smart(@$$) advice, I promise you I'm not running through any thick spots on purpose. I mentioned liking the e-tec and I do, but sure wish they would have angled the water stream from the engine to the side. It's directed straight out of the back of the engine, so pretty impossible to see while steering at the center console, though again the pitch change is fairly noticable on it's own.

BBG
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

BH gave you the best advice.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Most motors used to allow you to turn the pee outlet to make it pee strait out or to either side. You may want to check it and see :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Mine was peeing fine last Wednesday when the alarm went off. Figured it was grass, but I took it in for the mechanic to look at the water pump anyway. Burned engine equal long paddle ... no fun.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

At least you guys are hearing it in the motor. I have to wait until my buzzer goes off. I have had the RPMs cut in half a few times too before I realized something was wrong.
flogator

Post by flogator »

I have the same problem with a 90 Merc. Install a water pressure guage and keep your eye on it. the alarm is not doing your motor any good over a period of time.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

flogator wrote: Install a water pressure guage and keep your eye on it.
thats good advice right there.
GULP! free since 1970.