Monster wake

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

Monster wake

Post by FishWithChris »

Zach (TheBeerGuy) and I went out Friday afternoon to test drive a new boat that we should be picking up today or early part of this week. We went out of the lighthouse around 5 or so (I had to work) and trotted east a bit. This trip was for mainly testing the boat, but we brought our gear along with us (why not!??!?!).

We didn't go far east, maybe a mile or two and plopped down with a few short trout and 1 keeper. Pins underneath the CTs didn't produce much more than the poor things being chased around by lil' ol' sharks. Trout was caught on a top plug as well as jiggin' a gulp sardine on the bottom.

Zach pulled in a nice fatty Blue off the bars right there that gave a pretty good fight with some good 10yrd runs. Storms started rolling in so we called it a day around 8:30 and decided that the boat was going to be ours. (DETAILS on boat later)

Only pic of the day:

HOWEVER!!!!

The most ridiculously odd thing of the day that gave us chills happened on our last trot back out off the bars. We were going about 10-12kts over about 3 - 4 feet of water when about 15-20 yrds to the right of us, and about 5 yards forward of that a HUGE wake appeared, as though we spooked something. Mind you, this came out of nowhere, there was no gradual build to it. This wake was not at a v as you would see produced by a shark or dolphin, but as though the force was so strong it created a wall of water about 2 1/2 to 3 feet high and went faster than us.

The thing that got us the most was that this was a WALL of wake, not an pressed V. It was about 7 - 8 feet wide of wall and tapered off as usual. We could not see what was in the water, did not see any fins and there was no plow of air from a blow-hole. We attempted to cut off and turn to give look-see, but as quickly as it appeared, it disappeared.

Thoughts? (I'm thinking I'm going to have one of those "oooooooooooooooooh!" moments and smack myself in the head when I hear it).
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: Monster wake

Post by Redbelly »

Easy.....submarine, probably Russian.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Redbelly wrote:Easy.....submarine, probably Russian.
Red October
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Manatee or Manatee's
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Manatee was my guess as well, as I know they can create very short and very quick bursts and runs (up to 20mph). I just wasn't sure they'd venture that far out of the mouth

However, I knew the Russians were testing near our waters, but geez, didn't know the light house was that attractive!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I'm thinking manatee for sure!

Probably a mating ritual! :roll:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

Ok you fellas have got to lay off that stuff :smt028 while boating out there... :lol:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

The wife and I were about a half a mile east of the light house on the kayaks Sunday and there was a very large gator 12 to 13 ft by our guess. We tried to stay well clear, it did go under for a second but it came right back up. I don’t think he was to worried about us considering he was pretty much as long as our yaks.
Jobu
Site Sponsor

Post by Jobu »

Kraken. According to stories this huge, many armed, creature looked like an island when motionless and could reach as high as the top of a sailing ship's main mast with its arms deployed. When Kraken attacked a ship, it wrapped its arms around the hull and capsize it. The crew would drown or be eaten by the monster. Kraken were mostly noticed in the seas of Scandinavia, but have been seen in waters off the Florida panhandle. Fishermen said that huge amounts of fishs gravitate around Kraken and the boat that succeeds to fish around the monster without awaking it will take more than possible to carry aboard.
Yo, Bartender.. Jobu needs a refill!!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

That was JT's robotic underwater goat. He has programmed it to detect an oncoming interloper to his fishing holes and to flush all of the fish out before the interloper can get to them.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

Holly S#!T!!!! I haven’t seen that before.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

it was a heck of a site.

jsuber, imagine that as one big wall, about 8 feet wide... it must of been 2 - 3 right next to each other, OR a state record manatee :lol:

but essentially it's what jsuber posted, just a lot lot lot bigger

Image Image Image
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

galantnole wrote:...essentially it's what jsuber posted, just a lot lot lot bigger
A lot lot lot bigger?! :smt104 :smt103 :smt107
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I'll try and get Zach (TheBeerGuy) to chime in as well. This wake gave us chills for a couple of minutes. One of those things they make movies about... :lol:

but yes, it was much bigger than that. ahhhhhhhh I wish I could've unfroze and got the camera out to snap a pic. Craziest thing ever for sure. :o

Image Image Image