May not be Worth Noting

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

May not be Worth Noting

Post by Charles »

I don't know why it never occurred to me that someone else may be interested in this; or maybe I was right before in not considering it worth noting. But here it is.

From time to time I play around up to and including rolling my boats. "Training" I like to call it. It lets me know just how far I can push the boat. I figure this helps me with how the boats will handle in sloppy weather. Not that I would ever go out if the wind and waves were kicking up a little bit. But what I have found is that with my canoe, an Old Town Guide 147, I can tip it enough to get a gunnel under, ship water, and still recover and remain upright. It takes a little more to completely swamp the boat, but even then I can keep it from rolling over. That may not be true with a bicycle standing in the bow. I haven't tried that.

Not so with my kayak, a Heritage Redfish 12. True that the kayak, having a lower profile, will handle wind that would put the canoe on the beach, but in tipping, I have found, that once it reaches a certain point, it's gone. All the way upside-down. Once it reaches that point I can't recover and remain upright.

This is not to say one make, model, or design is better or worse than the other. They're just different, and both have their strong points.
Terrier

Re: May not be Worth Noting

Post by Terrier »

Is that canoe made of Royalex? If so, it may be more buoyant than the plastic in the kayak - I think it has a foam core.