SGI help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KYFRED

SGI help

Post by KYFRED »

I am off to SGI for 10 days beginning Friday night. I have talked about it a lot, but am still new to slatwater fishing and SGI. I have received some great tips and had some limited luck fishing from a boat and from a yak. Next week we will be going offshore a few days, but really hope to build on my limited knowledge of the bay and hook up with some trout and reds. So, like I ask before every trip, any advice would be greatly apreciated.
Bow'd Up

Re: SGI help

Post by Bow'd Up »

Try the bar in front of the 3 crosses. Also go west and try in front of the docks before you get to the cut.
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

This is a great spot, fish the rock side ive pulled many reds out of this area also pulled a few black drum and trout out from this spot as well. Mullet run though here a lot as well as small bait fish look for them and if theres any trout in the area they will problly be close behind them. Good luck and let us know how things go
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

I've fished the bar in teh past and seen a lot of people hit it hard. I will also try down by the planatation. I will hve my father-in-law along and he is dieing for a bull red. He has fished south Louisiana his whole life and only caught puppy's. I was also going to try over off of St Vincent on the bar just east of the island. thought that may hold a few fish this time of year.
bigirishllp

Post by bigirishllp »

pinfish on the bottom in bob sykes cut will put you on some bull reds now, but you better bring some stout tackle and some back ache pills with you ;)
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

You have enough time for some great boating and fishing adventures. My favorites:

1. Launch at SGI State Park and head about 10 miles east to the pass between St. George and Dog Island. Look for diving birds and pools of glass minnows and you might find a frenzy of Blues and Spanish Macs.

2. Launch at the State Park at the ramp by the youth camp. Very nice oyster bars close by, I have had good luck in the passes along Goose Island where you will see a giant eagle's nest.

3. Launch at the causeway on the island side and fish maybe a quarter mile to the east along the oyster bars in front of the crosses. Great spot for reds.

4. From the causeway you can run over to Sikes cut. Usually too many people for me but if you keep heading west there are some excellent flats on the backside of Little St. George Island good for seatrout and more.

5. Drive over to Apalachicola, pass through town until the drug store and hang a right on CR 384. After the Bay City area follow the signs and take a dirt road to a very nice launch on the Apalachicola River. From there either run north and west to Lake Wimico or head north and east up the main river and the back down the distributories. I am not sure about the fishing but it is an amazingly beautiful ride.

5. Use the new ramp just to the west of Apalachicola almost opposite the road to the airport and run out to St. Vincent Island. I have done well netting bait at the small inlet by the near corner of St. Vincent, and then fish the the dry bar which is an excellent interception point. From there it is a easy run to west pass where there can be tarpon. This is my favorite portion of Apalachicola Bay / St. George Sound.

6. If you want some diversity go to St. Joseph's Bay and try to the west and north of Blacks Island. Lots of seagrass flats divided by deep channels - similar to the Keys. I have used Presnell's launch, not the best or cheapest of ramps but the location is a time saver.

Have fun.
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

Thanks for the info. I have fished up by Lake Wimico and put in at the ramp above the railroad bridge as well as up river where you mentioned. It is a great ride. How do you fish the lake? Just like the bay or are you looking for somethign different?
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

The truth is I am a whole lot better at boating then fishing. Not sure but Lake Wimico might require a freshwater license.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

A freshwater license will be required if you target and or keep freshwater fish! I have found it to be safest to just get a fresh/salt combo, cause it's mighty hard to throw back a nice Bass when yer fishing for Reds or Trout in the river :-D

PS: GOOD TA SEE YA POSTIN AGAIN SKAG :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

I appreciate that wevans - work has kept me buried the last three years.