Steering Cable Replacement.

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Steering Cable Replacement.

Post by CSMarine »

This is not a question or info. It's a followup to a post someone made a while back about changing a steering cable. I remember them saying it was not that much of a chore. :-? Started that project on my boat Sunday. Soon realized that the motor has to be pulled off my boat to change the cable. :o :thumbdown: Almost all the wiring harness and other cables have to be removed from the tunnel in order to feed the cable back through.
Not that much of a chore for some boats, but a major, major chore on mine. Hope to have it finished by Christmas. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I got one of these.. :o
Image......
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I got one too. :thumbup: I seriously thought about it yesterday. I'd still have to pull the motor to install the new one. :thumbdown:
Semper Fi
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Connect some 12 gauge electrical wire to the old one before ya pull it out, then to the new one ta pull it back through :D with two people, ya should be able ta feed from one end while pulling on the other and work it through without to much jiggling :thumbup: and ya should be able ta just remove the bolts from the motor and slide it ta one side ta remove the cable from it :thumbup: :thumbup: course on some boats ya don't have that much slidein room :hammer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Got to find a tree or make an A-frame to hold the motor first. It's a real tight turn down to the tube. The tube is about 2" and packed full of wires and cables. Going to be fun. :x
Semper Fi
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

This is one of those "All ya gotta do is" jobs. :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I'll finish your sentence TC. "All ya got to do is".......take it to the boat fixin place. Shouldn't charge over $500 for labor. :evil:
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I'll locate a hoist (think an engine hoist will do it)....Did you find out where to lift it? Might be around the flywheel? Just let me know and we can arrange a sick day and fix it :o :lol:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Thanks Chalk. :thumbup: I plan to talk to Davis at Flint River Marine about it today. At least he can show me where to attach the lifting straps without damaging something.
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

You dont have a lift ring under the cowl :-?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nope, we looked all over last night......
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

There should be three threaded holes in the top of the flywheel, put there so a wheel puller can be attached. Put bolts in two of the holes, with the bolts through the end links of a short piece of chain. Now you can hook your hoist to the chain and lift the motor. If the flywheel does not have these holes, obtain a spare flywheel nut. Have a loop welded to the spare nut. Remove the existing flywheel nut, and put the one with the loop in it's place.
What was I supposed to do today?