CSB 11-7

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

konrad

CSB 11-7

Post by konrad »

The wife and I had a trip planed to head down to CSB for the weekend. The weather forecast didn’t look good but I decided to bring the boat along anyways. On Saturday NOAA was calling for 15 to 20 knot winds out of the east. Since the bay runs north/south my plan was to run over to the gulf side of the cape and fish the beach. I had read that the Pompano were starting to run so I thought we would give it a try. Once we rounded the point we started to see some birds diving off in the distance. Decided to run on down and see if there were any fish under them. As we got closer to the birds we could see that the water was boiling with fish. My first thought was Spanish but as we arrived the water was red. We ended up in the middle of a school of big bull redfish. There must have been over a thousand of them. I had never seen a school of reds this big in my life not to mention so many of this size. As soon as our jigs hit the water we were hooked up. After a 20-30 min battle on 10lb class tackle we landed the first two fish of the day. The ruler on my boat goes up to 36 inches. These two fish exceed that by at least 6 inches. I have caught over a 1000 redfish in my life and these two were bigger than I have ever caught before. After letting those fish go we found the school again about a ¼ mile away and did it again but decide to switch to top water plugs and bigger rods. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Every cast you would have close to 20, 30lb reds going all out trying to catch our plugs. They almost looked like a school of dolphin breaching the water. At one point I had two reds on at the same time until one of them ripped off the hooks on my Top Dog.

This pattern continued for the next 3 ½ hours. Find the school, hook up on the first cast and then fight the fish for 20 min. Then do it all over again. Finding the school was never an issue either since their was always 50 birds over the top of them. In all the excitement I forgot to keep track of how many we caught but it was a lot. They wore us out! At the end the fish were still biting but out arms and tackle just couldn’t take any more. This was one if not the best Red fishing trips I have ever had.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: CSB 11-7

Post by woopty »

Wow! :thumbup:
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Where's the Pics!
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

Sounds like a once in a lifetime day, Congrats
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.
konrad

Post by konrad »

I have pics but not too sure how to load them. I will try to figure ot out tonight.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Glad you were able to experience that. The closest I ever came to it was a school of big Jacks. As much fun as that was I am sure the Red school was better. Congrats again,
FF
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

heck yeah, I need to get down there :thumbup:
Get your mind right
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

That is SO cool, we love that are and beach for fishing!!
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

That's some fun for sure :thumbup: A few years back I had the pleasure of doing the same. Here's one of the average size ones.....biggest went 45 lbs. and over 50" :o
Bobby-Tom Redfish.jpg
Bobby-Tom Redfish.jpg (852.78 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Great trip and report. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Super, I've done that one time myself in of all places the mouth of Crystal River.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Great report. I had a day like that once offshore of Georgetown, SC
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Thats what it's all about!
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

Holly Crap!! That is freaking awesome!!!! That report had my heart thumpin!!!! :smt026 :thumbup: :beer:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem