Canoe/Kayak Trailer

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

Canoe/Kayak Trailer

Post by Charles »

Taking out yesterday at Lower Bridge I saw a really cool conversion of a flatbed utility trailer to a canoe/kayak trailer. Didn't have a camera, as usual, so I'll try to describe it.

The guy took two pair of the kayak racks that carry the boat on it's side and allow two boats to be cartopped leaning in toward each other at the apex. He mounted each of those to 2x something wider than the rack. He then mounted each of those units to the bed of the trailer so that the boats are carried leaning outboard. He mounted the 2x somethings to the trailer bed so that a little space was left between to run his tiedown straps through. These are mounted so that the boats are carried toward the sides of the trailer, leaving the middle of the trailer open. In the middle of the trailer he mounted two of the big foam blocks used for cartopping a boat upright. This system allows him to carry up to three boats on the trailer. He gave his wife credit for coming up with the idea.

This looked far, far superior to the method I use for carrying multiple boats on a utility trailer. Which is the old stack-and-tie-down-tight-if-anything-moves-by-pulling-on-each-end-of-each-boat-with-your-hands-use-more-ropes-and-tie-it-tighter method.