gunman shot a man who was beating his car with a baseball ba

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsuber
Site Sponsor

gunman shot a man who was beating his car with a baseball ba

Post by jsuber »

A gunman shot a man who was beating his car with a baseball bat on Firestone Road in an apparent road-rage attack, Jacksonville police said this morning.

The victim has been hospitalized but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening, said Lt. R.H. Elkins of the Sheriff's Office.

The attack occurred about 8:30 a.m. at Firestone Road and Moses Street just east of Interstate 295 in the Sweetwater neighborhood. Both vehicles stopped for an unknown reason. One driver began attacking the other's car with the bat when he was shot, Elkins said.

The unidentified victim was taken to Shands Jacksonville hospital. The gunman is in custody, Elkins said. He has also not been identified.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Well that sounds about right to me. Wasn't it Ty Cobb that said "Don't bring a bat to a gun fight".

I think most folks would shoot someone beating on their car with a baseball bat.
KYBOWHTR

Re: gunman shot a man who was beating his car with a baseball ba

Post by KYBOWHTR »

LAWSUIT PENDING WACTH AND SEE
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

jsuber wrote:The gunman is in custody, Elkins said.
Good. Here's to hoping he gets maxed out for attempted murder, and anything else that applies. :beer:

He doesn't get to play Wyatt Earp just because someone is attacking his car. If the guy were attacking him with a bat it would be a different story.
KYBOWHTR

Post by KYBOWHTR »

REMEMBER WHAT CAN HAPPEN BEFORE YOU GO AFTER SOMEONE WITH A BALL BAT. JUST HOPE NO CHILREN WERE INVOLVED
KYBOWHTR

Post by KYBOWHTR »

COULDN'T HELP MYSELF " LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY BROUGHT A BAT TO A GUN FIGHT "
Spot on

Post by Spot on »

Charles i would have to respectfully disagree, at the point a man attacks my car with a bat and i am in the car then i assume he his attacking me also. I would not wait for him to take a swing at me before i defend myself. It will be intersting to see what happens because i think floridia has a "no retreat" law. Like daddy always said the one who is complaing he didn't fight fair just lost.
KYBOWHTR

Post by KYBOWHTR »

spot on right on
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

The gunman must be a piss poor shot but sounds like the dude with the bat got what he deserved. Why would anyone jump out with a bat and beat the crap out of someone's car.....what an idiot :smt012
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Spot on wrote:Charles i would have to respectfully disagree, at the point a man attacks my car with a bat and i am in the car then i assume he his attacking me also. I would not wait for him to take a swing at me before i defend myself. It will be intersting to see what happens because i think floridia has a "no retreat" law. Like daddy always said the one who is complaing he didn't fight fair just lost.
definatly SPOT ON :thumbup: :smt004
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Death to car beaters. :thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Use of a bat is lethal force. Not surprised he got shot. The term "victim" here could have been used for both men. At the same time, there were probably some other options. Like, drive away.
KYBOWHTR

Post by KYBOWHTR »

mabey i was a ferri
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Spot on wrote:Charles i would have to respectfully disagree, at the point a man attacks my car with a bat and i am in the car then i assume he his attacking me also. I would not wait for him to take a swing at me before i defend myself. It will be intersting to see what happens because i think floridia has a "no retreat" law. Like daddy always said the one who is complaing he didn't fight fair just lost.
Ditto ... I might shoot one over his bow to warn him, but if he got too close to me with a bat, I would swap him lead for wood everytime!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

MudDucker wrote: ... but if he got too close to me with a bat, ...
Then it's 2 to the chest, one to the head. No warning shots. But the article didn't mention bat man as attacking the driver, just the car. He could have been. Such as it is with mass media only giving half the story.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I wasn't there, so I can't judge the man's reaction. I would try a warning shot ... if I could.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!