Spanish have arrived

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FlatCrazy

Spanish have arrived

Post by FlatCrazy »

Yesterday at lunch time I was driving over to the post office and I could see several large groups of birds bombing bait out in St. Andrew Bay. That was the first sign of life I have seen this year. Same story early this morning and again at lunch time. Based on past experience I would say the spanish have arrived. I do not care about spanish but it also signals that the trout should soon be out on the flats! :smt004
bman

Re: Spanish have arrived

Post by bman »

That is AWESOME news!!!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Thanks for the news! I've noticed some dogwoods in bloom. The one in my yard is not blooming yet, but...
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

There won't be any trout at Econfina this year. I would suggest everyone trying Keaton instead. Us redneck GA boys will just bream fish from the dock at Econfina. Thanks.
Team Jolly Mon
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Hey, my brother-inlaw is catching redbellies and bluegill on the oyster bars in Ochlocoknee Bay :o so I wouldn't doubt nothin :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
troutfisher07

Post by troutfisher07 »

Man i aint seen a dogwood bloom yet!!! every bradford pear is in full bloom so that usually means bout 3 more weeks! but the sign for me to go is when all these high school and college cats pack up and go to p.c.!!! thats when i hit them flats boys!!! so 'bout april 15 ill see yall down there!!! and just a sidenote, i wouldnt doubt if the spanish were out there, 'cause last spring break i didnt do that great on down but i wore the spanish's aces out!!! well good luck to all and keep me posted!!

mike
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Don't know bout all the spring break schedules...but it starts for most in Tallahasse next week I believe... I think this year's startup is gonna be a tiny bit different than anything considered typical of the past
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
BullHound

Post by BullHound »

troutfisher07 wrote:Man i aint seen a dogwood bloom yet!!!
I don't know where you are but they are blooming everywhere in southwest GA. Love the fishing this time of year but it kills my sinuses!! :smt022
Willie

Post by Willie »

I've got a newbie question if y'all don't mind.

When you see the birds and Spanish hitting the water what is the best way to catch the Spanish? What type of lure do you throw, spoons?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

If you can run up on em feeding on top... you'd be hard pressed to throw something at em that they don't eat!! You will need some type of leader material that is resistant to TEETH.

Your spoon is fine. Any thing with flash is fine. Suspended hard baits are fine.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
FlatCrazy

Post by FlatCrazy »

Willie wrote:I've got a newbie question if y'all don't mind.

When you see the birds and Spanish hitting the water what is the best way to catch the Spanish? What type of lure do you throw, spoons?
I am no spanish expert but many troll clark spoons until they locate a school of fish then slow down and throw straw/bubble rigs and gotcha plugs. Since I don't like to eat them we usually just catch them for fun when the trout have not yet made it out onto the flats. Once we find a school I like to take an old curly tail grub on a 1/4 oz. jig head, press the barb down on the hook for easy removal and cast to the schools. Rip the jig back to the boat about as fast as you can move it. I think a spanish will eat just about anything that moves quickly. They have teeth, so I would not be throwing expensive painted lures to them to gnaw on. They sure are fun to catch on light tackle.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

FlatCrazy wrote:
Since I don't like to eat them we usually just catch them for fun
I'll take em if you don't want em !! :lick:

Here's a plate full of em..
FlatCrazy

Post by FlatCrazy »

Sir reel wrote:I'll take em if you don't want em !! :lick:

Here's a plate full of em..
Looks like you got a bunch of tartar sauce and a stiff drink sitting next to that plate! I'm sure that helps the taste!

In my opinion, they really aren't bad if you eat them fresh and cut out that dark lateral line. I just feel like I am wasting a bunch of the fish after I do all that trimming, so I save them for you guys that love them. About the only time I keep them is when I know I am going grouper fishing. A butterflied spanish is great grouper bait!
Spotty bottom

Post by Spotty bottom »

Spanish are good for nothing, they taste bad, they bite, they don't fight good, there ugly, they smell bad, and they are slimey - I do love-um!